• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternative method of C02 diffusion to inline atomizers ?

Paul195

Hi all

I have two external filters each of which have an inline atomizer in the return line. As time has gone on, I am finding that I have to pump more C02 to get the drop checker to turn green, and I believe that this could be due to the ceramics inside the atomizers are becoming clogged up.

I would like to change them for a diffusion method that is less fuss and does the job without requiring cleaning or maintenance - taking the pipework apart to clean them is a PITA.

Any suggestions what might be a good alternative for two separate canisters ?

Thanks

Paul

yes sold that one on just recently, tanks going ok other than a small bit of algae setting in which I believe might be due to a lack of C02 due to the clogged up ceramics

Just use a cerges/rex grigg reactor. I have never cleaned mine. :)

I added a cerges after the inline atomizer. Even when its dirty and clogged the Co2 still gets in and the cerges just allows it to absorb into the water.

Same here with regard to inline diffusers also dont like the misty look.
I am using a sera 1000 at the min works well but the build quality isnt great on them.
There is the Aqua Medic 1000 run without the bac balls in are suposed to work real well. But they only come in 12/16 fittings.
As i have 16/22 pipe for the long term i am going to make one along the lines of the AM 1000 one but obviously with 16/22 fittings.
Just getting all the bits together now.

Whenever my ceramic diffusers get clogged I just soak it in some bleach water - it clears right up overnight and the bubbles are small again. Maybe you can try that if you're still having issues.

Another interesting method I saw that you might want to give a shot (I will def try when I get a larger tank) is actually using a powerhead above a ceramic diffuser - so as the bubbles are released the powerhead takes the bubbles in (and hypothetically pops them) and shoots them all over your tank =). Sounds great when you write it but application wise I am not sure...

Another thing i have just found with the sera reactor for anyone who is considering one,Make sure you leave enough slack in your pipework to be able to turn the unit upsidedown.
Or when you clean your filter you get a airlock in the reactor and the only way to remove it is to turn it upside down as i have just found out:):lol:;).

Back