• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andy D's Splendid Tank

I was a bit concerned tonight that I may have lost my Betta. Not to any health issues but he had disappeared.

Chucked some food in and waited. He appeared out of some Lilaeopsis I had wedged between two of the planters!

tu8azu8u.jpg

y5a8ama7.jpg

My woodwork/technical drawing teacher used to throw a block of wood the size of a brick at anyone that annoyed him.

I've added another LED to the tank. The suspended one was just not providing enough light at the front. It does detract from the overall look but it will have to do until I can get a decent mounting rail.

I also managed to get a shot without loads of reflections (still not a great shot though :) )

ahejy6ad.jpg

I also lost my Betta :( and an Ember Tetra get stuck behind the filter :( .

The Betta pine-coned and was dead a day later. I cannot say why as so many things have changed for it I could not narrow it down. Before it fell sick it was behaving as normal and it's colour was better then ever.

This was about a week ago. On the positive side everything has been okay since.

Sorry to hear about your Betta :(
Since reading about Rooibos tea I have been putting the bags in my tanks and while water changing I pop in a fresh one, I like the stained coloured water, and I'm sure my fish are benefiting too :thumbup: But, is it ok to use them continuously like this?
I must add that I enjoy drinking the tea too, very refreshing on a hot day, not that we have many of those up here......

Since reading about Rooibos tea I have been putting the bags in my tanks and while water changing I pop in a fresh one, I like the stained coloured water, and I'm sure my fish are benefiting too :thumbup: But, is it ok to use them continuously like this?

Yes I think so. A LFS near me uses tea-bags all the time for their blackwater tanks.

I love it. Looks good.
I tried the rooibos tea in all my tanks. It lowered my Kh from 7 to 5 within an hour of putting it, something like 4 bags on 340+ litres of water did that. So its quite potent that way and I've tried almond, oak leaves and other stuff and they never did that so quick, so its interesting that way. I actually love it to drink it, made it even in ice tea.
The fish didn't mind it though and I'd say they quite liked it apart from the livebearers.

totally uneducated here but why would tea drop the KH? It cant actually be taking minerals out of the water..??
Unless you mean PH?

Do find this one really interesting Andy, have wanted to do a tank with a heavy emersed focus for a long time... wish i had space for Al's old 3x3 tank. One day...

Nope, the ph didn't move. It dropped the Kh by two within an hour as I said. I tried it on 5 tanks so I can assure you it drops the Kh. It would drop the Ph too if one doesn't start with a Kh as high as 7-8 as I do but you need a bigger shift in Kh in order to get the Ph down too, at least in my experience.
I'd say if one has a very low Kh/soft water, should be careful with this tea as it will swing the stats quickly. I don't know if it will affect the fish or not by doing so though. I put two bags on a 50 litre and I thought the fish seemed distressed for a while but got over it, well didn't die anyway.

Back