• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angels and Cardinals

I've used cardinals as dithers for angels for about 25 years on and off (beggars never getting to be choosers). Fully grown I've never seen a P Scalare go for a cardinal, neons however seem just about the right size for a big one. Can't vouch for the others in the family though.

As for behaviour, yes, they most definitely group once a pecking order is established. I can understand what people mean by them taking to their own section of the tank, but that's largely each taking to a hiding place before the order is established or multiple pairs forming territories, which is a bad thing in a tank unless it's huge. Otherwise, yes, they're nocturnal ambush predators largely, or possibly more crepuscular ones, but again that may be aquarium specimens behaviour rather than natural.

You're all tempting me again, my 65 gallon is lacking since my thoricthys sp died recently, so I may source some nice angels again. Will probably need the other half's permission on that one though as it tends to end in 25 tanks in the garage once I start down that line.

I just read that angels like to nibble and sometimes even totally demolish some plants, that's not something I am waiting for in my just replanted (dutch style-ish) tank...may have to look for another fish. I had my eyes before on some boeseman rainbow but with an open tank that's not an option either.

Can do but, I would be wary of bleeding hearts if you still want to try out Angels, I've had bad experience with a group of 15 attacking my Angels' fins, leading me to re-home the Bleeding Hearts.

Can do but, I would be wary of bleeding hearts if you still want to try out Angels, I've had bad experience with a group of 15 attacking my Angels' fins, leading me to re-home the Bleeding Hearts.
Thanks for the warning but of course no Angels...My intention is to have a bit bigger fish with my cardinals to have a bit more interest in the tank but not causing danger for cardinals to get eaten or stressed.

Back