• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anyone using 27 or 36W LED Spotlights

tubamanandy

Currently using 2 x 36W LED Cool white spotlights (E27) on my planted Discus tank.

They were purchased from an Ebay supplier & I've found the drivers inside the lights are a bit flaky to say the least. Already had to re-solder a new driver (sent free by the supplier after the failure).

Anyone else had this problem ? I guess its probably either cheap electronic components in the driver or the heat in the spotlight thats causing them to fail.

The 36W (12 x 3w) units seem quite difficult to find - anyone know a good supplier or would care to share their experience with similar type unit ?

Tubamanandy, the issues you are having with the driver is the stumbling block most aquatic aquarium lighting manufacturers are having, getting reliable drivers for LEDs. The standard issues are generally with the build quality and the cost of the components. Most are designed down to a price if they are of Chinese origins, as that is the only way they can make the sales and the revenue. Now there is also the possibility that the heat may be killing them off if they are not correctly adhered to a heat sink.As most of the cheaper LEDs have low junction temperature limits. As you probably know, this is not good for a light that will be on for a potential of 12 hours day.

Back