• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APS Overtank Lighting

Bertie

Hi,
I have a Rio 180 and for various reasons I am considering overtank lighting. I like the Arcadia luminaire but at the moment I cannot afford that.
I am considering an APS one but wonder if anyone else had got one, and if so how are they?
Also I am assuming that only the tubes from APS would fit as they are 849mm and Arcadia tubes are 34" which would make them 863mm?!

Hi Bertie, I've got an APS light for my 60cm tank. It's brilliant.

For me the Arcadia light would be no better. I bought the light from a fellow UKaps member so was cheaper than new but would quite happily pay full price for it.

As for bulbs, I'm using Arcadia bulbs. I believe that the Arcadia bulbs are measured full length (including end caps) whereas other manufacturers measure just the glass tube section (without end caps) so that would account for the different measurements.

I hope that helps.

There is not a problem with the Rio lights and yes I have two T5 45w colour tubes...it is just that an overtank set up may give me more control. Being able to switch one light off for example and they will be raised higher over the tank and they can be suspended if I so wish. Have not made my mind up at the moment but am looking at the advantages/disadvantages.

Hi foxfish.....been keeping out of the way;) yes I rather like the idea but convincing the oh....and I still need to know what the aps overtank lights are like as they are a whole lot cheaper, although I realise that they will be direct from china via aps of course.

I have the 90cm x 39w luminare from APS and I think it is perfect although I'm only using it for emersed growing as yet but I can't forsee any problems as near 80w plus the 50% xtra from built in reflectors is ample for plant growth in a tank correspondant to fit the luminare. Time will tell when I flood the tank, but for the price you can't go far wrong. Go for it Bertie if you are on a budget like myself.

Hi Murf thanks for the info....much appreciated

Back