• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attaching Riccia

tubamanandy

What's the best way to attach Riccia to eg. a piece of wood ?

I had three decent amounts recently that I attached using cotton but within 2 weeks it's totally destroyed and floating on the surface with only a minimal current - there must be a better way ?

I think most folks bind with cotton, are your fish not dislodging it ? As it grows in good light it gets really compact and self locking. Doubt super glue would work here as is often used used with mosses.

I used fishing line to hold mine in place which works quite well as it takes a lot longer to degrade than cotton thread. One thing to take in mind is that Riccia Fluitans will never attach unless its grown emersed. As the Riccia over grows its advised to give it a good trim as it will likely float free since its a floating plant.

Monk d'wally de honk I think has a nice riccia carpet going if you can locate the journal:)

Sorry double post naff signal.

Interesting to hear your thoughts about using fishing line. I used it once on a full riccia carpet tied on weighted plastic grids, but found the nylon difficult to work with although it worked, soon went back to cotton as the scape progressed.

Im trying to attach an image using tapatalk to show you my method.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

20131130_130111.jpg

20131221_115910.jpg

Works like a treet - just remember to trim back very often, or lowest parts will die and rest go to surface.
Mick.

Will be pillaging Boots in the morning for one of these.

Hope they have more than just pink!

Back