• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attaching Weeping moss to slate

C00ki3

I'm wanting to attach my weeping moss to the top of my slate but it hasn't got many gooves etc and its fairly smooth, i've tied it down but dont want to have it tied permenantly as the string is very visible. Has anyone had experience with moss on slate that can reassure me it will eventually take hold?

Weeping is really not good at attaching itself. Ultra thin fishingline will quickly be covered, though!

The good, old Java (Taxiphyllum barbieri) is in my opinion by far the best to attach. It'll even attach to glass, given time.

I reckon superglue Gel or cotton for ferns and things that will eventually attach. You can be creative with the placement with a blob of superglue.

For all the mosses / liverworts that don't really attach (assume all but Java and Fissidens) use invisible thread from wilkinson or fishing line.

I'm basing this on recent experience using superglue with peacock moss, looks ok..ish there is a white streaking visible to begin with, but the real problem is when the time comes to siphon / waft the moss free of gunk eventually the bond between moss n glue will break. With line you can bind more moss to the slate and create a thicker, more maintainable carpet. The invisible thread from wilkinson really is difficult to see in the aquarium so you won't lose out aesthetically.

Back