• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Baby Goldfish

zozo

I got a few off my own larger pond goldfish, quite a few actualy.. I caught 5 and did put them inside in the tropical low tech. They are still not bigger then the rasboras. Except one, the biggest i could see, already got 3 cm in a few weeks..

They fit in very well and because still baby the like to school and school around with the rasbora's, except the bigger one, that one already is a bit solo and more boldly exploring.
DSCF7359 (Kopie).JPG

I kinda like the color too, they have that greenish shine, the actual natural crusian carp color.. And they eat algae.. :woot: If i'm not mistaken BBA, at least i seem them pic leaves with BBA on it.

I'll keep 'm in the tank and watch them grow up till they get to big, that would be a few months maybe. :)

Yes they indeed are, i did read everywhere they would be black, but they only look black when viewed from the top only showing their backside. But from the side in a tank they are very beautifully golden/green.. In real life comparable with the color of a Tench a bit lighter.. They resamble more the natural form when so young, like their original ancestor.

Caught an ever bigger one, the fatest i have i think.. Unbelievable this is born maybe 8 weeks ago.. About 35mm.. Also unbelievable that this can grow up like a white comet tail. At least i do not know who the father or mother is, i have 2 white comet tails of which 1 is male and the other female and 3 regular goldfish, 2 females 1 male. So this could be anything.. Dunno.. :)
DSCF7367.JPG

Everything must be hunky dory in the bathtub
:lol: i guess so, i did what i always do.. Love them and they love you back.. Maybe a bit to much, now i'm stuck with a motherload of goldfish. Now i have to think of something again to love them.. Might extend the bath tub next year with 2 wood base tanks, with front and back glass panel and the rest wood panels with epoxy. Already brainstorming how and what. :)

You need a pond :lol:.

No a greenhouse.. :lol:.. I realy thinking of putting tanks on the low wall behind the bathtub.. Have room for 2 x 80 cm tanks 40cm wide but shallow something like 25cm hiegth. Much more intresting than only top view. Wooden bottom panel and wooden side panels, glass front and back. Would look awsome with emersed plant growth. :woot: Mission bathtub 2017 in the make.. :)

I got 8 of them in the tank now, 2 are relatively big for their age the others about 20mm.. But they are real pigs, they eat and eat and eat.. Little unstoppable eat machines, little pooping fert factories desperately in need of food and want to grow. If you believe it or not, 3 days and i see my tank already getting cleaner.. But they definitevely also eat plants, not all, the only plants i see them pull by now is Pogestemon erectus and the roots of Hygroryza aristata, but they are still to small to do real permanent damage. I see them pull off leaves with algae and all like mad, nothing is spared. They sift the substrate like crazy. As said real pigs, even more then their parents.. If you need a cleanup crew and can get your hands on few weeks old baby goldfish, to house them temporary, go for it.. If i have to make an estimate, 1 goldfish baby is more fanatic than 10 oto's or 10 amanos.. Oto's and amano's rest, they don't. And then bring 'm back or rehouse them before they start to do damage.

And they also look kinda cute when still so little.

Pics of the bathtub lol? Always looking for ideas for outside ponds!

So cute when they are young....once mature, not so sure. :)

So cute when they are young....once mature, not so sure. :)

Much earlier, when they become larger then 30mm it's time to move to a safer invironment.. Meaning less delicate plants.. They are so hungry and eager, flashing around the tank like little piranhas. They eat everything available i even see them pull BBA and hair algae of the leaves, filamentous algae from the glass and eat soft planttissue, plants like elodea and pogostemon are definitely on the menu. Also plantroots sticking out of the substrate, some crypts sp. grow some hairroots above the substrate, which are all gone by now, but the leaves are not on their menu. Dead shrimps are picket apart in half a day or shrimp skin is also eaten, dead snails (puffer spoils).

They exclusively eat algae and what they find in the substrate till 20mm big, as they get bigger the menu chart gets bigger.

It is also very easy to catch them, create a one way trap from a little plastic bottle, put some food in.. That way i caught 15 within 2 hours.. :)

Much earlier, when they become larger then 30mm it's time to move to a safer invironment.. Meaning less delicate plants.. They are so hungry and eager, flashing around the tank like little piranhas. They eat everything available i even see them pull BBA and hair algae of the leaves, filamentous algae from the glass and eat soft planttissue, plants like elodea and pogostemon are definitely on the menu. Also plantroots sticking out of the substrate, some crypts sp. grow some hairroots above the substrate, which are all gone by now, but the leaves are not on their menu. Dead shrimps are picket apart in half a day or shrimp skin is also eaten, dead snails (puffer spoils).

They exclusively eat algae and what they find in the substrate till 20mm big, as they get bigger the menu chart gets bigger.

It is also very easy to catch them, create a one way trap from a little plastic bottle, put some food in.. That way i caught 15 within 2 hours.. :)
I didn't realise they ate that much algae.... No wonder they are good for ponds!!

If I ever get a big enough pond, perhaps I may have a few, just to see them breed, then move them on. Who knows they might grow on me!!

Now i can stop wondering why my pond doesn't grow so much algae :), while my naturaly lit low tech tank kept growing it, which is nothing more than an indoor pond in a glass container. They are Carps and are what you call real omnivorious, like i said (freshwater) pigs. It is in the breeding manual, they live of algae and micro organism till big enough for regular fish food, but that doesn't mean they stop eating algae at certain age, they keep doing it.

I took the big 35 mm one out, i saw it tear appart a dead shrimp, and triggered all the others to feast with it, even the barbs couldn't resist to join the party. They seem to be real copy cats. After that i saw the big one getting a taste of it and niblling of living shrimp. So took it out before it learns all other they can.

Never seen fish foraging so fanaticaly.. Funny is same fish from same nest, grow in different speeds, the ones eating the most grows the fastest, i have 2 around the 30+ mm while the rest is about half the size and all are about 5 to 6 weeks old. (That's avarage 5mm a week :eek: for some) And those big ones are completely mental. Foraging with real agression and tear things realy apart like mad.. Like that dead shrimp.

Not the best video.. :) But i was growing some mosses and some utricularia sp. together in a jar on the window sil, it became all one entangled wig of hair algae. Threw the whole wig into my little nursery tank which also houses 4 baby goldfish. They immediately start feasting on it, they love it.

Back