• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bacopa species

Munroco

Seedling
I have 2 bacopa species in my tanks atm. (at least I think thats what they are) I'm hoping someone here can ID them for me. I'm hoping to propogate them into dense clumps for foreground and background in a low tech lowish light tank. Will this be doable and if so any tips on the best way to do this would be most welcome.

The first pic shows a bunch of the small leaved one and the second pic show a strand of the larger one alongside a strand of the smaller one. (or it would if I could work out how to upload pics :) bear with me)

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq75/Javalad/DSC_0073.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0073.jpg

First one is allmost certainly Bacopa monnieri - second one could be Bacopa carolineana.
If it is carolineana, try crushing a leaf between your fingers and smell it. It will smell heavily of eucalyptus/menthol (much like the candy).

Thanks Mick, theres no smell at all from it, here's another pic, if you look closely the leaves are slightly serrated. Don't know if that helps.
bacopa2.jpg

New pic.s says not Bac. carolineana - and no "candy-smell", makes it certain.
The cuttings does not look like in "perfect health/growth"(sorry, no offence ment), and this make ID-ing much more difficult, since this often change characteristics. I think the potential of the plant is even more serrated leaves - but this remain to be seen.
At this point, I really can't settle on an ID...........too many possible "suspects" :oops:
On an afterthought, the first pic. could really also be a fully green Lindernia rotundifolia. This can easily be checked, by growing one emerse (very easy). If it produces light blue, small, trumpet-flowers - it is Lindernia.

Last edited:
No offence taken Mick, that's the reason it isn't planted atm, its been getting squeezed out of my main tank by amazon swords, so I'm in the process of moving it to a new tank which is why its uprooted.

Back