• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Belkin WeMo - wifi remote timer

Occean

Seedling
Thought I would share my latest find and apologies if its been covered already.

I had probably quite a typical issue, accessing my timer switch behind my tank when needing to manually turn on my lights.

So I did a bit of research and found this gem, I am not going to pretend it is cheap at £40 for a timer. It's basically a timer switch that is managed and controlled from a smartphone/pad. I am using it with an iPhone and it works a treat! You can set rules up really easily on the phone and they are stored on the timer and for those Times you need the light on you can just tap the app.

Additionally you can use it anywhere you have a data connection and can also attach a motion sensor for other application.

This is what I use on my tanks.
Anyone used Byron/Home Easy remote timeswitches ? | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Easy to set timers, via remote control, no need to plug in PC. Times below are for my dosing pumps.
pict9061v.jpg

Also easy to move clock forwards (or backwards) from comfort of armchair.

Easy to override lights at water change time, select unit 1, press ON.

I have this power management system, I'm pretty sure they do one with LAN too, i just plug mine into the computer with a usb extension, it worked really well for ages then unfortunately developed a software glitch that put one of the sockets out of sync, I'm still dealing with them through email to come to a conclusion, they have been really good though, I'll keep posted how they deal with it

Good to see this post ! I’m gonna use a kind of smart switch which is driven by wifi and controlled by smart phone, who knows more about this please give some advice,can I change the temperature of air-conditioner ?

This is kind of high technology product, different voltage, different temperature condition all sounds complicated.

Smarthome is rather popular, like smart switch outlet, one of the main function is saving energy. even if you forget to turn off the power, you can still do it anywhere with your smart phone through WIFI . Sounds amazing !

Smart home and home automation become a heat topic more recently all around the world even in developing countries like China, as a solution for energy saving and easy-controlling by connecting with smart phone, young people also regard it as kind of fashion.

Hello Chaps,

I have found another solution that can also be remotely controlled or via USB cable: Energenie PMS.

Energenie Four Socket Power Management System | Maplin

It cost the same as the Belkin device, and provide 4 sockets that can be per-programmed of controlled remotely, also has 2 standard sockets (in total 6 gang). :)
Looks good, are you using one at the moment ? Any user feedback would be appreciated.

Right, got home and tested device seems to to do everything i wanted, however it can only be control remotely via PC as a shared device, so need connected to PC and PC turned on. They sell another version call LAN PMS but cost a little more, which can connect directly to Router.

I generally happy with, a lot less clutter as current have 3 timers connected that take up 6 sockets that take up 6 socket due their size, which now means i can hide everything away within my stand.

You programme the 4 programmable sockets via USB cable, and once done you can detached usb cable and it will remember the settings.:)

Wifi power socket realize remote control of home electronic appliance, it’s also a kind of fashion among young people. Wherever they are, they switch on/off their air conditioner, curtain, TV with smart phone to show they are fashion keeping.:)

Right, got home and tested device seems to to do everything i wanted, however it can only be control remotely via PC as a shared device, so need connected to PC and PC turned on. They sell another version call LAN PMS but cost a little more, which can connect directly to Router.

I generally happy with, a lot less clutter as current have 3 timers connected that take up 6 sockets that take up 6 socket due their size, which now means i can hide everything away within my stand.

You programme the 4 programmable sockets via USB cable, and once done you can detached usb cable and it will remember the settings.:)

Back