• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best moss for attaching to branches?

James D

I'm almost ready for my rescape which'll be full of wood. I'm planning to use a lot of moss on the branches I was just wondering which looks best. Some of the moss I've seen while researching looks a bit 'leggy', I'm after something a bit more short and 'soft' looking. Maybe it's all in the trimming though, I haven't used too much moss in the past.

If anyone's got any pictures of their moss growing on roots / branches I'd love to see them.

Thanks

James

Hi all, If you don't mind it taking ages to grow, Fissidens is ideal for this.
Just done this exact same thing on the wood of my latest effort Tulgey Wood along with some Fontinalis antipyretica 'Willow', Riccardia chamedryfolia (liverwort), and Taxiphyllum barbieri 'mini'. I've also squeezed some Bolbitis heudelotii var. in between some branches; perhaps another idea to consider, since this species is pretty diminutive.

Cheers.

I've got a few moss stones growing in my current tank in preparation, I can't remember exactly what the are though.... one's flame moss and I think the others are weeping or christmas moss and possibly Taxiphyllum barbieri.

I think Fissidens probably looks the nicest though, does it grow considerably slower than the other types? I suppose I could just buy more of it!

Fissidens, spread it thinly.
11831EA4-A2B5-454E-BED8-771DC18D21B9_zpsatslr13z.jpg

I tied this on with brown cotton,in november, its been trimmed once and its just about ready for another trim. I removed the cotton when i trimmed it

Thanks everyone. I like the look of the Afro Moss but I've been convinced by Big Clown's photo.... Fissidens it is!

I suppose I've got 2 options now, either buy loads of it and glue it on so it's 'ready made' so to speak, or alternatively I might try the yoghurt method, I suppose I'll need to wait for months until it looks grown-in though and I don't know if I've got the patience.

Thanks.

The fissidens in that pic was fed liquid carbon only and only changed to pressurised a couple of weeks before that pic. I'm fairly impatient but managed to resist and wait a couple more weeks before trimming.
I like fissidens and flame moss most, all the rest seem to need constant trimming when there doing well

I've decided to go down the yoghurt mix route with the fissidens as I can leave it in a spare tank for a few weeks and keep my current tank running. My question is... will it be ok unheated? I suppose I could rig something up with my old, small in-tank heater and a bowl of water but I'd rather not!

Thanks

Hi james, just about to follow you in this, got wood :lol: this week, and just ordered the fissidens, and was also thinking yoghurt route.
One question though, do you think wood needs to be fully saturated first or would dry be ok?

I would think it would be best saturated as you shouldn't let the moss dry out as I understand it. Also you don't want it floating when you get around to flooding the tank, it can't hurt to soak it at least for a few days until you get your moss. My wood's been soaking in a tub for a few weeks now so I'm good to go at the weekend. :)

My main concern is the temperature although I'm not sure how important it is.

I think fissidens is temperate isnt it? So a slightly higher temp would probably see increased growth, and conversely, cooler temperatures would just slow it down

Back