• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta hiding

Halley

Hi - I have a betta in a 30 litre planted tank with one danio but the betta spends most of the day hiding around the back - does anyone know the reason for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a sponge filter and temp is around 28

I would turn it down to 23/24 I have a betta in my 30litre shrimp tank with 5 galaxy rasboras, he doesn't stop swimming round and the flow in mine is pretty high

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Nice tank! The flow is low in my tank - I didn't know the temp would affect them. I thought the danio might be too active for him

Most fish really don't like high temperatures, make them lethargic. Try turning it down to 23/24 and see if that helps any?

Id turn down temp, remove the danio; check brightness of your lights

Thanks for help everyone I think the danio may be too active for him

28 degrees is fine for a Betta Splendens. I would suspect the Danio is to active as you say. Micro rasbora such as borarus brigattae and maculatus etc would be a better option. They would need lots of cover ie plants though and some floaters wouldn't go amiss.

I would disagree with the temp thing, I've just had a look around the Internet and they all say keep around 23/24 degrees. I have bred these several times, if anything I would say the temp is the main factor as I have 5 rasboras in my tank which are just as active as danios. Drop temp first then if that doesn't work then the danio needs to leave lol :)

I've just had a look around the Internet and they all say keep around 23/24 degrees
These fish can do fine at these temps but most advice given on the net is missleading and often suggests that these fish require no heater at all or a filtered tank and can live in a cup. I used to keep mine 26-28 and I too have bred them, it isn't rocket science! I find the exact opposite though, that at higher temps these fish are more active.

regarding the temp, I know a few people that hold the opinion that higher temp = higher metabolism, shorter life span etc. I usually tend to go nearer the lower end range of temps for fish, think my betta is in at 25 at the moment; just a consideration, no evidence for it.

regarding the temp, I know a few people that hold the opinion that higher temp = higher metabolism, shorter life span etc. I usually tend to go nearer the lower end range of temps for fish, think my betta is in at 25 at the moment; just a consideration, no evidence for it.
That is a good point and I think might be true to a certain extent. I heard this from keepers of liquorice gourami a while back as we had all got fish fom a new batch and mine were bigger and matured more quickly than the fish of a couple of the other keepers. They were keeping theirs at 23/24 while mine were at 26. Saying that I still have my first original wild caught liquorice gourami and they look quite different from their offspring in that they are much deeper bodied and 'meatier' so I think they keep developing physically well beyond the point of sexual maturity. Sorry , that went of point a bit...Personally I'd keep them around 26. I've found fry survive well and grow well at this temp so I don't believe the higher temp is necessary.

So the point is your temp is slightly high lol
emoji16.png
Ha, no, it is at the optimum temp for growth and breeding :cigar: . This autumn I'm going to slowly drop the temp of my tanks by a couple of degrees to give my fish a winter season but it won't be going less than 24 :). A natural cycle seems to be working well for the shrimp so why not fish.

I'd try removing the danio - you don't mention which species of "danio" you have in the tank, but there are few I'd keep with Betta splendens

Re temperature, I don't see any issue in your chosen temp, it's within the observed habitat range of 22 - 30C

I feed him every second day with some flakes
Is he quite excited in his food response?

One of my favorite Betta sites :)
Victoria Stark's Betty Splendens

Back