• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Betta keeping

Derek113

I have decided to venture into breeding Bettas.

After some research i have found it confusing in regards to fry diet.

What do you feed them on?

I have decided to venture into breeding Bettas.

After some research i have found it confusing in regards to fry diet.

What do you feed them on?

Microworms are ideal starters, along with brine shrimp. The worms are much easier to cultivate though

Through reading ive heard that white worms cause the pelvic fins to be shorter.

Is this true?

This is the pair i want to start with

Male
image.jpg

Female
image.jpg

Hi all,
Microworms are ideal starters
I like Micro (or <"Banana">) worms, but for very small surface orientated fry <"Vinegar eels"> are even better micro-worms, because they stay near the waters surface and are smaller even than Banana worms.

In the summer you can <"collect the egg rafts of Mosquitoes">, and then add them to the fry container, the hatched mosquito larvae will be eaten by the fry.

I can send you some Vinegar Eels.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I like Micro (or <"Banana">) worms, but for very small surface orientated fry <"Vinegar eels"> are even better micro-worms, because they stay near the waters surface and are smaller even than Banana worms.

In the summer you can <"collect the egg rafts of Mosquitoes">, and then add them to the fry container, the hatched mosquito larvae will be eaten by the fry.

I can send you some Vinegar Eels.

cheers Darrel

Are these both cultured in the same way?

I would appreciate if you could send some.

Some people do suggest that feeding microworms causes fry to not develop or lose their ventral fins. It is thought that because the microworms lie on the bottom of the tank and they fry tend to sit on the bottom of the tank along with their food that the bacteria growing on the glass surface damages the ventrals. I always feed microworms to all the betta species fry I raise whether splendens, channoides or simplex. I presume you are talking about breeding fighters/splendens but there are loads of different species of Betta. I have never produced any fry without ventrals. I always have plenty of ramshorn snails in my fry tanks and they eat left over food and also biofilm from the glass. I feed microworms for the first week and then freshly hatched baby brine shrimp from then on. Good luck with your breeding venture and be prepared to have to separate out fry as they get older and start to fight. My last spawn of splendens resulted in over 100 fry getting to the 6 week stage and then moved into grow out tank.

Some people do suggest that feeding microworms causes fry to not develop or lose their ventral fins. It is thought that because the microworms lie on the bottom of the tank and they fry tend to sit on the bottom of the tank along with their food that the bacteria growing on the glass surface damages the ventrals. I always feed microworms to all the betta species fry I raise whether splendens, channoides or simplex. I presume you are talking about breeding fighters/splendens but there are loads of different species of Betta. I have never produced any fry without ventrals. I always have plenty of ramshorn snails in my fry tanks and they eat left over food and also biofilm from the glass. I feed microworms for the first week and then freshly hatched baby brine shrimp from then on. Good luck with your breeding venture and be prepared to have to separate out fry as they get older and start to fight. My last spawn of splendens resulted in over 100 fry getting to the 6 week stage and then moved into grow out tank.

Lindy, have you heard of the approach where people have kept the male father in with the spawn in long, wide shallow containers? apparently it manages all aggression, and allows for all fry to be raised in the same container.

I wanted to try this myself, but after spawning my fry died due to unknown complications; with the father following suit shortly after :(

May try it again at some point, I was dubious to it; but have read a few people trying it with success

Yes there are many people that leave the male in with the fry long after free swimming stage. It depends on the male really as some eat eggs some start eating fry at free swimming stage. For some males the physical strain of looking after eggs and fry is almost too much so removing and feeding is necessary. Some males become depressed when removed from their fry and die anyway. I left one lot of fry in with a male and he ate lots. I prefer to move fry of any species into a hang on breeding box so that they are always close to food without having to put lots of food in a larger tank and risk water quality.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back