• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blind cave fish

They also like to peck your fingers, they will home in on your hand the moment you put it in the water.
They also love it if you disturb the substrate and happily join in with any digging required.
They still get on my nerves a bit though... I just wish they would calm down a tad. If I get up in the night and glance at the tank the pink twits are just as crazy as ever!
We have now got used to the plop plop noise as they jump the wier, I am going to try and get a better vid of a tandem jump.

Last edited:
It is no good they have to go!!!!
The little terrors have pretty much destroyed my tank, they have virtually uprooted my whole carpet, chewed my leafy plats to pieces & now chewed my African filter shrimps feeder fans away....
They are going back to the shop... I do feel a bit guilty because I doubt they will find a good home but I just cant cope with them anymore .....

Last edited:
I don't know, find a fish with a disability and give up on it.:D I think I would have got rid the first time I caught them eating plants. Maybe it's your didgorydoo playing.?

I am a softy mate..... to be honest they are a great fish to keep in the fact that they just never stop moving but, they also bite every single moving object!
My misses said she cant wait to get them out of our house as they distract her from the tele!

I suppose being blind and living in caves they will mouth everything and if it doesn't taste like rock then it's on the menu, actually I wouldn't be surprised if they nibbled away at rocks to get at bacterial mats growing on it or in it.

Can't have them eating your new Buces though, that would be a very expensive salad!

:)

It is no good they have to go!!!!
The little terrors have pretty much destroyed my tank, they have virtually uprooted my whole carpet, chewed my leafy plats to pieces & now chewed my African filter shrimps feeder fans away....
They are going back to the shop... I do feel a bit guilty because I doubt they will find a good home but I just cant cope with them anymore .....

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :brb: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where are the daredevils now?

Yes I've not any tanks now, but I get alerts for here ( ukaps) . Ive had a rubbish day and going through this has made me smile .

Here is a nice one.. It seems the controversial and mythical 3th eye actualy realy does excist after all and functions as a light detecting organ. In fish and amfibians it's experimentaly prooven, in mamals only as endocrine organ producing hormones affected by carcadian rythms..The discovery with these fish was purely by chance, these seemingly blind cave dwellers have some visual perseption through this organ.
http://www.livescience.com/9555-blind-fish.html

Awsome!.. :)

Complete article is available
Shadow response in the blind cavefish Astyanax reveals conservation of a functional pineal eye
Masato Yoshizawa, William R. Jeffery

The shadow response is highest at 1.5-days post-fertilization (d.p.f.), gradually diminishes, and is virtually undetectable by 7.5 d.p.f. The shadow response was substantially reduced after surgical removal of the pineal gland from surface fish or cavefish larvae, indicating that it is based on pineal function. In contrast, removal of one or both bilateral eye primordia did not affect the shadow response. Consistent with its light detecting capacity, immunocytochemical studies indicate that surface fish and cavefish pineal eyes express a rhodopsin-like antigen, which is undetectable in the degenerating bilateral eyes of cavefish larvae.

Back