• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

centrepiece fish

Centerpiece fish huh?
id say pygmy cories but i think maybe a white angelfish?

Yeah I've enough bottom feeders with the 6 Sterbai's & 2 Bristlenose's. I was thinking angelfish originally alright but I've been put off based on the height of my tank.

How about some killifish? There are some species that would be suitable for a community and grow to a nice size and they tend to be very brightly coloured and more unusual. just be careful - with some species the male can be very.... amorous! He'll attempt to mate with anything

Well, after doing a tour of 6 fish shops around Plymouth (never did make it to Camborne). We (girlfriend, friend and I) settled on:

an angelfish

Didn't see much in the way of dwarf cichlids and none that were as spectacular as some of the photos I've seen. And as for the height of the tank, well, we're gonna see how we go with that. I have a friend who will take the fish off our hands if indeed it does outgrow its surroundings.

New fish looks great and adds a bit of character to the tank.

Hi all,
Yes I've never run out, but it has got quite close a couple of times. I've got just over 1000 litres of water at home, and another 2300 litres at work, so it does need to be quite along drought before I get too worried.

This is the back of the house with 3 water butts, I've got 2 more at the front.
View attachment 61530

and this is one of my 2 IBC's in the glasshouse.
View attachment 61531

cheers Darrel

Know this is an old post & thread ... but I'm super jealous of your garden!

Are dwarf gouramis difficult fish to keep?

Guoramis do not like constant temperatur that much especialy the dwarf variaties seem to be sensitive to this. They seem to thrive best and live the longest in tanks which also mimic seasonal temp changes.

And because we allmost all use artificial heating, we have a rather constant temperatur. In regions where air temperature is many times way colder than the water temperatur, there is higher risks.. Gouramis dwel often near the water surface thats also where their bubble nest oftenly is build, they gasp a lot of air. So because of that temp difference some varieties are at higher risk of getting sick and are especialy not suitable for opentop tanks.

I forgot which gouramis are most sensitive for this.. I choose for the Croacking dwarf gourami, beause i got an open top and this issue was not repported with them.
All still good after a few months i'm about to find out in the long run.

Hi all,
I like dwarf cichlids, and Rams are good if you can get good quality stock, but they are hopeless parents with other fish. I've also seen some very nice Nannacara anomala lately, including the very striking green morph (at Amazon Aquatics in Warminster). Laetacara dorsigera/curviceps would also be good.

But I think it is a perfect tank for some Apistogramma, how about a pair of A. panduro/nijsenii/baenschii or a trio of A. macmasteri/hongsloi/agassizi/borellii/trifasciata or cacatuoides? It is a shame you are in Dublin as I have always have some spare A. cacatuoides that you could have had.

The Apistogramma species also give you a choice of colours with some species largely reds and others blue.

Have a look here for details <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/index.php>

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel

Great selection of dwarf cichlids - can i ask if any of them are suitable in a tank with amano shrimp? And which of those you mention would tend to stay in the middle/upper regions of the tank, or are they all likely to stay in the middle/lower regions?
Thanks

Hi all,
Great selection of dwarf cichlids - can i ask if any of them are suitable in a tank with amano shrimp? And which of those you mention would tend to stay in the middle/upper regions of the tank, or are they all likely to stay in the middle/lower regions?
I'm haven't kept Amano shrimps, but Apistogramma cacatuoides was a great shrimp hunter with Red Cherry Shrimps, and I think the "nijsenii" group Apistogramma will be the same. Apistogramma agassizii has a smaller mouth, so it might be a better bet and the same would apply to Apistogramma borellii or Rams which are smaller fish.

I think all these cichlids are fairly bottoms orientated.

cheers Darrel

Back