• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Changing from sand to...

bennell

Morning all,

As the title suggest, im looking to change my sand set-up to something like EC or one with a high CEC.

Ive done my due diligence and noted that alot of the clay based substates and ones such as ADA amazonia will leach high ammonia quantites for X period of time.

If it was a new setup, Amaziona would have been my first choice no problem, but my issue is that its a 3 year set up which im now slowly converting to a densely planted tank (previous was moss only with corys and shrimp so sand was sufficient)

I have no problem in removing everything inc the sand and starting again as im planning a re-scape but its mainly the choice of substrate to use?

Are there any on the market that wont release ammonia buy contain P&K and other nutrients?

I will also consider others that are inert but that are high CEC like cat litter or akadama but dark/black in apperance

Thanks in advance

Joe

I should have mentioned that i have an already lowish ph @ 6.4.

I did look into that soil but noticed it will lower your ph but to what value is another question

The only way for your soil to not effect PH is to use something inert, but then you loose all the benefits. You could use something like tropica plant growth substrate underneath inert gravel or sand.

Back