• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap light needed for non plant/algae growth.

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

So kind of the opposite of what people are usually asking about here. I'm looking to upgrade/downgrade the lighting of a tank that will not be planted (anubias at a stretch).

With a high bioload i'm trying to minimise the algae by minimising the lighting. But i'd like to still keep it aesthetically bright.

Am I correct in thinking that the PAR we crave for our plants is the same part of the lighting spectrum used by algae? so high lux but low par is acceptable?

I'm thinking LED strips might work for cheapness but have no experience with how bright they actually are in comparison to a single T8 bulb that the tank currently has. It's a 150cm tank btw.

Thanks in advance,
John

i think they would be a little too good. i'm trying NOT to grow stuff remember :)

Hmmm... What about the led light bars from Ikea, perhaps not cheap but they'd drop less PAR than the above.

Back