• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Correct planting (and propagation) of Bucephalandra sp. 'Kedagang'

TimT

I managed to get one of these and it has just arrived. From what I can gather on the net it is a rhizome type of plant. Does anybody know if it should be planted with the rhizome above substrate level like other rhizome plants if I chose to go that route?

I hope to get it to grow and multiply/divide it to individual plantlets later. Any guidelines on how to best achieve that and where to divide them if it comes to that?

Thanks!

I found it grew better in aquasoil (any soil will do). I also had some on a rock and it survived. It didn't grow much, probs 2 leaves in 2 months.

It may take a fair while for you to propagate it, it for me was the slowest growing species of plant I have owned.

It's to be treated like other rhizome-plants, yes.
It will grow painfully slow, but IMO faster under, than above water. It will also speedup growth, if the actual roots (NOT the stem/rhizome!!!) are allowed to grow into a rich soil/substrate.

This specific variety will devvelop numwrous little white spots and a faint, lustruous blue colour on leaves developed under water.

Propagation is similar to Anubias: carefully break off pieces of rhizome, preferably with an allready growing side-shoot on it. Do allow the single plant to gain some reasonable size (gathering strength) before you chop it into several pieces - that'll ensure far better and stronger little plants, that are much faster to start providing fore themselves. It's tempting to divide too much and too early, I know ;)
Mick.

Back