• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dealing with snails in spray bars

aaron.c

Hey Guys

It seems the snails have moved into my external filter.

I am fighting a constant battle try to keep them out of my spray bars. They keep blocking the holes which is going to affect uniformity of flow in tank.

I have filter wool as the last line of defence in my filter.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to deal with this problem

Thanks
Aaron

I have this exact same problem. I've bought some Assassin snails which should sort them out eventually, but I think more filter wool is the only real solution.

I had a few assassins find their way into my filter, but never the spray bar. I just end up with de-snail of the spray bar as part of the weekly maintenance plan

Interesting. I've never had a problem with snails invading the spraybars. How about cleaning up the filter well from snails including filter media and then using a prefilter sponge on the intake? Maybe that's why mine aren't in the filters as they can't get in. In one tank with external filters I have no snails because I have clown loaches. In the other tank I have several types of snails introduced myself but I have prefilter sponges on the intakes. I have shrimp invading the filters because they live in the pores of the prefilter sponges when newborn and get sucked int but no snails in the filters at all.
But yes, one can kill them all. Also to what Troi suggested, Kusuri wormer plus kills snails too and will deworm your fish, lol.

I have cleaned the filter as well as I dare with tank water. I am having to clean the spray bar every day. It is really affecting flow at the moment.

In a wel planted tank i wouldn't hesitate to thouroughly clean the filter, heck, even sterilize it. Plenty of cleaning through plants and substrate bacteria. Perhaps lower the light a day and do one extra waterchange, not sure it would be needed

Back