• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Different thought for night light.

idris

Having searched a fair bit, as far as I can tell with lights for a night time feel, those who have tried blue or moonlight bulbs haven't lasted too long with them.

So I was wondering what the cognoscenti think of just using a much lower powered tube to make the tank viewable for an extra hour or two at each end of the day ? Just enough to see what's going on the tank, but still give it a feel of dusk without being blacked out completely.

Also, what wattage per litre could you use?
(Obviously lights on for longer have all the usual pitfalls, discussed at length on a regular basis, but I'm wondering what would be an acceptable compromise ... and yes I know "acceptable" is ultimately subjective.)

I do this on my tank 150 us gallons,

For 2 hours prior to super sun metal halides kicking on I run 3 24" T5NO dual bulb fixtures from Coralife. Gives a nice low light sunrise/ sun set kind of feeling. Here is my schedule:

5 am - 8 am Coralife Lunar White Moon light pods 6 pods total
8 am - 10 am Coralife T5NO dual Freshwater fixture with 6500k and colormax bulb
10 am- 7 pm 150 watt Metal Halides with 8000k bulbs
7 pm - 9 pm Coralife T5NO bulbs back on
9 pm- 11 pm Moonlights back on for night light

Craig

Hi,
I use a MicroHabitat LED light which has a flexible stalk and have it on the low setting, pointing into the corner of my 30 ltr nano at night time , it looks good and the pencil fish and Vietnamese minnows seem to like it and congregate under it at night.

Back