• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus fish

After a long startup of my discus fish tank and some help from my good friend Wayne Ng (discus breeder from Hong Kong) and one of his running sponge filters I've got my fish.
There are only 4 as I'm looking to get a pair out of them and move the other to a friend or in my other tank.
The tank isn't scaped what so ever, but I wanted to share this with you guys.
20160616_182107 kleiner.jpg
kleiner.jpg
20160807_211419 kleiner.jpg

Very nice fish.
Get em eating all you can (variety), so they don't bull up and refuse anything but Blood worm's and beefheart.
I managed to grow out a group of juveniles some year's back on New life spectrum pellet's,Ocean nutrition flake (High protein%), tetra bit's,spirulina brine shrimp, hikari bio-gold cichlid pellet's, and bit's of red worm's (bait shop).
Purist's scoffed at my refusal to offer beefheart and blood worm's but have had issues with both so I stuck with the afore mentioned.
Fish grew from roughly 5 centimeter's to adult's in about eight month's with three feeding's a day, and three 50 % weekly water changes.
Best of luck with handsome fishes.

Thanks roadmaster, I can get a good beefheart mix and blood worms here, but I want to try some pellet and/or flakes as well. I'll be doing a 40 to 50% water change each day to keep water parameters as constant as possible.... so far I want to keep doing as Wayne Ng suggested as he is the master and I'm lucky to have him as a friend.

Yes,Is good to have advice from one who is successful and can impart their knowledge that obviously work's well.

After a cleaning pipes disaster, my building management didn't inform us that they would clean the water pipes and they used more bleach than you would find in any swimming pool :mad:...... I lost one Discus fish, now I was down to only 3, so a good excuse to get some more :D
I went to Hong Kong and got 4 more Discus at Wayne Ng's place, according to Wayne I could easily keep more fish in my tank as long as I keep up with daily water changes (I change 70-80% on a daily base), but for me it's still a grow out tank and most of them will end up in my other tank.
Anyway, I made a movie of my trip to Hong Kong....here is the link

I'd be happy without the musicover too ;) I kept straining to hear the Real Guy :D

Someone asked for some pictures of my Discus....well, here they are. The smaller (less blue) are still pretty young and a different colour variation (bigger once are "Blue Knight", smaller once are "Violet Reflection, all of my fish came from the same breeder (Wayne Ng)
20160913_214416 kleiner.jpg
20160915_161203 kleiner.jpg
20160915_161220 kleiner.jpg
20160915_161342 kleiner.jpg

Enjoy

Back