• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Diy CO2 yeast question

Ovidiu

Hello everyone,
I am going to start a yeast based co2 generator for my 30 liter nano tank and i got a little bit dizzy after reading every post i could find about this.

A lot of people are suggesting NOT to start doing this but it is really not worth a try?

I have read that baking soda keeps the gas output stable for about 2 weeks if you use less quantity of yeast so this means that for a nano tank it could actually work. Is it true?

I really need some light here guys but if you are going to say No then i will reconsider creating this little project.

I've got my bottles ready just in case :cigar:

Cheers

Just do it! It isn't all that hard. Once a week just start a new bottle and replace the one you are using. All it takes is a cup of sugar.

I had good results with using two bottles of DIY CO2 with a splitter connecting them to one tube.
Each bottle produced CO2 for about 2 weeks, but gave good results for a week then began to decline. So filling one one week and the other the following week gave me a fairly consistent supply.

I found that adding a dark sugar or molasses seemed to give prolong the production of CO2 noticeably.

I never had any real problems with it, but use a check-valve.

The best thing to do is to run 2 bottles off a t connector. Then you alternate the bottle refills. So 1 week you do one bottle, the next week you change the other bottle - this keeps the supply more consistent and stable. P.s a week is only for illustration purposes... You might need to change them more or less often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone and thank you for the advices.

I just started my co2 generator but I think im not doing something right because after i put everything together i got bubbles coming out after around 10 hours. Im talking about the actual bubbles in the soda bottle.
My recipe is a standard one: 2 liter bottle, 1.5 cups of sugar, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp bakers yeast. I am activating the yeast in a small coffee cup with lukewarm water and a pinch of sugar, i mix it till bubbles come out and let it there for about 10 mins while i mix the sugar and the baking soda in the bottle.

So why is it taking so long to produce any bubbles inside the bottle? I just started a new bottle with a new yeast 5 hours ago and still nothing happened. Am i doing something wrong? It feels to me that something is killing the yeast and i dont know what it is.

Last edited:
Just takes a bit of time. No need to activate the yeast in another container. I use 1 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of yeast.

@BruceF
Thank you for the quick reply. So i took your advice and i started a new bottle. The only problem is that when i put the yeast inside the bottle like this it goes to the bottom and it doesnt dissolve. What i did was to shake the bottle a little and now after 4 hours i already see foam on the surface which i didnt see on the previous bottles where i activated the yeast and used baking soda. At this point i have no idea if its good or not but im waiting more to see some bubbles in the aquarium.

The yeast will activate faster at about 110 degrees F. Filling the bottle about 3/4 full helps to reduce the airspace also. Still pretty much t takes a day to get going well. So I always start abottle the day before I use it.

@BruceF
For about 2 hours now i have a nice stream of tiny bubbles dancing inside the aquarium so thanks again for your advice :thumbup:. I cannot explain how i got the bubbles so fast but at this point im just happy i have co2 in my nano. The only thing i changed was that i didnt add the baking soda in the composition so maybe this is the reason.
Based on the info i got from around the internet if i put only 1/2 tsp of yeast it would last me for about 2 weeks in a 30L aquarium. Do you think i can get away with only half tsp of yeast cosidering it will work non stop? Im asking this because i dont want to gas the fish and i also dont have an air pump running during the night.

Back