• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY LED help

ezzkazz

Seedling
Hi all,
After a break away from the hobby Ive decided to chuck in my marine setup and go back to trops.
Im looking to do a nice planted tank and want to make a diy led unit. Well I already have one made when I ran it on my marine tank but the cree's i used i bought them with marines in mind. My question is, I had equal amounts of blues and whites, do i need to change this ratio or maybe go for yellower crees instead of the cool white ones. Can anyone help, any info would be apreciated. The tank is 18 inches deep if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

any colour works its a human preference to the colouration plants only care about intensity.

your marine setup will actually work just fine however you may not like the colouration you're getting. I would perhaps swap out 2-3 of the blues for perhaps reds and greens to compensate it'll give you a white light over all (rgb :) ) but the greens and reds will really enhance the plant colour.

I think plants respond best to the red and blue ends of the spectrum so maybe just swap out some of the blue and whites for some red ones. Should look better to the eye as well.

ok thanks guys I will have a look at adding some reds then

ezzkazz said:
Hi all,
After a break away from the hobby Ive decided to chuck in my marine setup and go back to trops.
Im looking to do a nice planted tank and want to make a diy led unit. Well I already have one made when I ran it on my marine tank but the cree's i used i bought them with marines in mind. My question is, I had equal amounts of blues and whites, do i need to change this ratio or maybe go for yellower crees instead of the cool white ones. Can anyone help, any info would be apreciated. The tank is 18 inches deep if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Have a look at this link to the Ecotech Radion, which I was very impressed with when I saw it demo'd recently. I am not suggesting you go and fork out £600, lol, but the mix of colours is interesting food for thought. I know George Farmer had a play with one and cut out the Royal blues completely, and ran the regular Blues at 20%. The rest were at 100%, and that mix was the spectrum he found most appealing, but we are each different.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/radion/

Back