• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does anybody know what this is?

zozo

I find it in the aquarium, not very fast growing but noticable. Starts out as a small long fiber and when i looked under magnification i saw small leaves. Did put it in a botlle next to the window and it is growing. First i thought a kind of algea that came with the from Afrika imported Bolbitis because it's always near that bolbitis, but i also did put moss there.

Now i'm in doubt. It's my first tiem working with mosses. Could this be a growing form of moss like the Fissidens fontanus. Or is this something alien?

nB9LxfN.jpg

Could be, i see the Fontanus growing very good. And just at that particular place it's shooting this out.It's higher up in the tank. In the rest of the tank deeper it grows differently, but looks kinda like it. Looked on the web for references, but all picture are focused on the big leaves, I realy wonder.. What it might be.. Got soem hair algea in there which came with the ferns. That's why i'm freaking a bit..

Ok thanks a lot Darrel! :) A moss i can live with. I can see it has weed potential as the article describes, it likes to grow steady.. Must have come with some plants i bought or forgot to wash my hands after dipping them in the pond.

Mosses, of allmost all kinds, are quite common "hitch hikers" in aquatic plants. Even plants from nurseries sometimes carry those.
Mosses can re-grow from extreemely small pieces, transferred by handling....or even germinate from spores transported around the world (ex. in mangrove wood or rock). More or less "exotic" ferns have the same habit of showing up "out of no-where"!!
- why not try to grow it, to see its full potential..........

Funny you mention. :) I was scrutinizing my thank this afternoon for more of them.. And indeed they come from the rizome of a Bolbitis Heudelotii, i see a little bush shooting up from there, still very tiny ½ inch long for the longest. And thought the same, looks kinda neet, let them go and see..

Here they are
2Ruaids.jpg

Behind the Pelia..

Back