• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI Macros and Iron

Jaap

Hi,

When dosing EI when is the shortest time I must wait after adding macros in order to add micros and make sure the Iron doesn't bind? I know that I must dose macros and micros in alternate days but whats the shortest time between the two dosings that I should wait?

Thanks

I sometimes dose at the same time if I miss a day, just do it at either end of the tank or leave it an hour. I don't think the binding is that much of a issue, will just cloud up your water for a a bit, iron drops to the substrate and is then released slowly. Someone can correct me on this as I'm probably wrong.

If you are really worried about the iron reacting with the phosphate, just dose at separate ends of the tank, but IME this is not needed at all.

If you were mixing an all-in one fertiliser in a small bottle, then the reaction would be worth considering and adding ascorbic acid or similar to prevent, but you shouldn't observe any reaction at the recommended dosage levels for EI, as the chemicals are diluted in the larger volume of aquarium water.

As EnderUK says, worst case scenario, even if the reaction did happen, the iron just falls out of solution to the substrate, it's still in the tank and will eventually become available to the plants given a healthy root environment.

I dose macros and micros at the same time daily and have had no issues with clouding or deficiency symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So going to the second part of my question. I would now like to make a midweek water change of 90%. This means that macros and micros will be very scarce in my tank when I fill it up again. Then should I go and dose macros and micros before lights on or just one of the two?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't think it really matters when you dose it, unless you're using RO water there will be some minerials in the water and the plants aren't going to starve in one day. Just dose at whatever time and schedule that is easy for you. Speaking of which, Just so happens I forgot to dose this morning so I'll dose tonight.

So its better to start off dosing with macros rather than micros?

Also nasically what u r saying here is that adfing macros and then aftet 10 minutes adding micros will not have any negative effects?

Then why do people go through the hustle of dosing 3xmacros and 3xmicros instead of all at once? What advantage do they get?

Then why do people go through the hustle of dosing 3xmacros and 3xmicros instead of all at once? What advantage do they get?

I do dose 3xmacros and 3xmicros just because I like it, you know, it is a kind of daily routine with my coffee early in the morning. I dose, I check the tanks... Well, The only reason is that I like it.
But when I'm leaving home for 4 days I dose all the ferts together, macros and micros, and I have never noticed any issue.

Jordi

This is a great little recipe for an all in one solution www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm. The key is to add enough weak acid to keep the solution at or below pH 6, the low pH means that the iron stays chelated and not free to bind with the phosphate. (I use citric acid from the asian grocers, not the very best for the job but it works fine)

Reactions: tim
Back