• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed hybrid

Ravenswing

Hi all!

This is my latest attempt with paludariums and emersed culture. Veggies moved three weks ago from 250l to this 600l wich was converted to be a paludarium. There is a mix of few emersed aquarium plants growing on and between bogwoods but also room plants. This is still under construction as I see how things will go...and grow. There are Geos, tetras, plecs and cories living in the water part.

P1300001_zps99d81fad.jpg
P1300002_zps56409eb3.jpg
P1300006_zps901ba038.jpg

P1300003_zps8a41d4b9.jpg
P1300005_zps9a9c248e.jpg

Filter: hydrobox with flow+HMF under Prayer plants ^

And couple of full tank shots

P1230025_zps766eaecc.jpg

P1230007_zps44250d51.jpg

Im trying to find a tank without frames but so far, no luck.

Thanks and cheers,

Maria

You could make you own, or order it. That way you can make it as wide as you want (or are allowed , if married), even especially shaped with a "wide shoulder" for the riparium plants. Glueing it youself isn't that hard, lots of info on the net about it.
If you dont want brackets just use thicker glass.

You could make you own, or order it.

Yep, you said it! At first hand my target is find a "second hand" tank but plan B is order a new one. There are many nearly-suitable set ups for sale even right now, but unfortunately all of them are customized for salties and all that technique with overflows, sumps etc is needed to be teared down before moving sweeties in.... When it comes to ordering, there are just two-three reliable tank makers in my home country and they are really, really busy now. I guess it would take at least six months to get a new tank from them.

Cheers,

Any progress with this???

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Im so sorry I have to say "no". The tank started to leak without any warning (well, isnt that the way this usually happens....?) at the beginning of this month and we had to empty it immediately. Oh my, it was a total chaos but fortunately we (incidentally!) noticed the leak before it caused any disaster to the house, just a small pool on a floor. Im disapointed, I had some ideas how to work forward with it. Last pics, you are welcome:

P2160007_zps3b4201f9.jpg

P2160008_zps78551c51.jpg

I have a dream....to get custom made long but shallow "river-style" tank and create something similar but with a more aesthetic (rimless) tank and stand. Now I have smaller one with muuuuuuch more less plants (yep, lazy with tanks when busy in the garden) , Ill add pics later of it.

Cheers and take care of your tanks, they are precious

Maria

That's a real shame, it was looking fantastic and have to say I share your dream. I need more room first though :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

That's a great shame...you know I'm a fan, so post those pics and keep us up to date with your river dream...

Edit...Haha posted simultaneously with ali, great minds...

Thank you all for your kind words! Looking those pics makes me cry! As soom as I get full time job (now home with four kids for some time), Ill order the new tank. This was second hand, Im pretty sure I will never buy such again thou I know the accident was just bad luck (or was it? Silicones looked a bit bad when I bought the tank...)

Could you please spare some time listing the emergent plant names.

Sure! All species are quite common and more or less easily found, hope I can remember all of them! Here we go: Growing in the hydrofilter, Calathea sp and Spathiphyllym sp (small species). other plants growing from the water and on woods: Phaleonopsis sp (small specie), couple of small species orchids like Leptotes, Acorus, Anubias (emersed), Nepenthes sp (small species), Ficus pumila, Anthurium sp (small species), Fissidens fontanus (half emersed) and Hydrocotyle leucocephala and L verticillata (both emersed). All of these grew like mad and really enjoyed this kind of way of growing! This set up was sooooo easy to maintain and still so lushious green without worrying fertz. Or algaes but Iv never had headache of them regardless style of the tank.

If somebody is interested in to hear, fish species were Geophagus sp Tapajos Orange Head (two young mated pairs), 3x L-134, 3xL-174, L-046, L-204, Copella arnoldii and Corydoras sp (mainly C concolor).

Cheers, Maria

O wow Copella's would be very happy in that tank. Did they ever spawn?

Hi Edvet! I suppose they didnt, or alternatively I just didnt cought it but never saw such behaviour thou males cheated females sometimes. They are pretty young ones. I still have them but in a sons full filled (=more traditional) 300l-tank. Very beautiful and nice fish in every way indeed and a real "must" for paludarium style tank!

Hi!

Guess this is not pure emersed culture but something like that. This is the tank replacing broken 600l

P5230350_zpsedb42e26.jpg
P5230353_zpsfcc7d456.jpg

P5230356_zpse15e3b4c.jpg
P5230376_zpsffc895e2.jpg

The stand is under construction (its too big now) and there will be some more emersed growing Anubias. Echinodorus is either E grandiflorus or E grandifolius wich I bougt to grow emersed but no, not so far...grrrrrr. I know lightning period shoud be minimum 12 hours in order to get them grow emersed, but thats not possible with this tank. Nice sword with beautiful emerald-like green leaves anyway, just like the pic seconds (magic glow!). There is also emersed growing a tiny plantlet of Cardamine lyrata next to Anubias, but oh man, it grows soooo slowly at the beginning. earlier I had Hydrocotyle tripartita but it was a horrible weed! The water is really tea like because of tons of oak leaves and alder "cones". The tank is pretty shadow-like but not as dark as in the last pic. I personally like it, its a bit mysterious! Lightning is LED 2x27w (Cree) 6500K+ 3x Ikea spot LEDs.

Cheers, Maria

Back