• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fallen Tree

Plunket

Hello everyone

I’ve been lurking about the fringes on UKAPS for some time, really enjoying all the fantastic displays and great wealth of information that the forum provides, but not really getting involved. Well, time to change – here goes!

At the outset, just want to thank everyone for the great information and inspiration within these pages, but especially Alastair for the motivation, and George for all his advice and help, and for taking time out to come and photograph my set-up :clap: I suspect this means that the best photos of my new tank will be of it unfilled!

For some time I’ve been scheming to get a new tank at home and “The Chancellor” finally agreed, on one condition – that the cabinet was made of solid wood! If only I’d known that’s all it would take….
So here she is, 1095 x 450 x 450 mm, opti-white, on her solid oak cabinet:

T6fMWUx.jpg

Have to say, we thought the wine rack was a good idea, but as you can see, nothing lasts long enough to go in there! Suggestions for alternative uses welcome :lol:

My mission with this build, apart from hopefully producing a competent ‘scape, is to come up with a functional design that provides filtration, CO2 delivery, heating and additional circulation through the base of the tank so that there is no equipment in the tank or cabling, pipes, etc. over the rim.
Not a simple brief, but after six months of planning, trial and error, drilling, cutting, gluing, joining, pulling apart, re-building and testing, I’m hoping I now have a workable design.

CRnxbpC.jpg

rCBobvK.jpg

Not sure how much detail to include, but basically the intake and return go through a single hole (55mm) in the base of the tank. The intake gets split in two, with one part going directly to the filter (which runs 24/7) and the other to a circulation pump which will be on the same timer as the CO2 solenoid switch. This timer will, in turn, mimic the photoperiod settings on the lighting controller, meaning the additional circulation and CO2 injection will be provided during the day only, when the lights are on. When I wet tested this, the fully loaded filter on its own delivered 750 LPH (around 5 x tank water volume), while the filter and circulation pump together delivered 1500 LPH (around 10 x tank water volume). There is a flow control top on the pump so I can crank this down if required.
The return from the filter passes through an inline Hydor heater before merging with the flow from the circulation pump and inline diffuser, then back to the tank via the centre of the intake hole, to a 22mm acrylic lily pipe/spray bar. I haven’t completed the fabrication of this as I need to see how the flow is distributed around the tank, but this can be optimised once the tank is filled.

Inside the tank, there is a removable intake housing with a pre-filter sponge and the return passes through the middle of this. Kind of complicated and difficult to explain, but seems to work.

OF0L23s.jpg

Ultimately, this will all be screened by plant growth, but still be accessible for removal and cleaning. If anyone is interested in the specific design, let me know so I can provide additional pics to illustrate.
After a couple of weeks of faffing about I finally decided on the layout:

jcN2Zy6.jpg

One of the things that has bothered me in the past is all the tying and netting and otherwise fiddling to get mosses and carpeting plants established, so I decided to try the DSM. Again, huge thanks to the people I’ve been pestering over this.......

(“You mean I spend good money on healthy plants, put them through a kitchen blender, add some yoghurt then paint them onto the rocks and wood!!?? Seriously??!!”)

I’m about 10 days into the process now, and so far, touch wood, it seems to be going well.

Plants I’ve put in so far:
Glosso, HC ‘cuba’, Eleocharis sp. ‘mini’, Elatine hydropiper, Fissidens fontanus, Riccardia chamedryfoli and Plagiomnium affine. I’ve also attached a couple of small pieces of Microsorium ‘mini’ to the tree – just hoping it survives the dry start if I keep it moist – and some of the surplus Cryptocoryne lucens from my livestock tank.

This is where I am as at today (thanks once again to George for the pics!):

0hKiTx2.jpg
Q8W17wG.jpg
dlNCQSn.jpg

So there it is - my first journal entry...thanks for reading, hopefully much more to follow ;)

looks great and great pics and filtration set up etc looks very well thought out will be keeping close eye on this one

Dean

Yesss you've started it :D
Its great to see you getting your journal underway.
You already know what I think of this scape, and to think you thought it was a 'ok' attempt ;) you had me fooled ha ha.
The new wood on the right has balanced it out brilliantly and I think youve done a fantastic job with this. Some serious thinking has gone into this set up you can tell and its really paid off mate youve got a set up that's going to be great once its growing in and flooded. The plants seem to be doing really well on your first go at dsm too.
I did try to have a hard look at your outlet etc but now ive seen these pictures you've done a great job of it. That's some serious plumming under the tank and I think your idea of a lily type outlet would be ideal.

I bet your photography skills are top notch too now hey ;)
im subscribed to this and really looking forward to how it progresses.

Well done mate

Ps fill the racks with fert bottles theyll last a bit longer unless your desperate

Superb set up! Thats the first time ive seen an engineering feat like that in a tank!

Thanks krazypara - there are 32 joins in the system, which is a bit scary I filled the tank and let the system run for 10 days, and no leaks....anyway, what's the worst that could happen? We need a new carpet in here anyway

Very Nice Plunket. Nice design with the filter/ pump inflow. I don't know how you'll get on with flow around the tank with that set-up, but will watch with anticipation.
Thanks Nathaniel, and yes, flow is a BIG factor here. When I tested this (without plant and hard-scape), the flow with both filter and pump running was almost too strong, and this is the issue - all the flow is coming from a single point. I think if I keep the plants on the back and on the right quite low, so that the flow hits the right hand side and gets deflected forward and down, then I should be OK. I will also distribute flow to the sides and back by drilling appropriate holes in the return pipe.....it's a bit of "suck and see" really, but I'm hopeful it will be ok, even if I end up with a bin full of scrap acrylic pipe :oops:

Yesss you've started it Its great to see you getting your journal underway. You already know what I think of this scape, and to think you thought it was a 'ok' attempt you had me fooled ha ha. The new wood on the right has balanced it out brilliantly and I think youve done a fantastic job with this. Some serious thinking has gone into this set up you can tell and its really paid off mate youve got a set up that's going to be great once its growing in and flooded. The plants seem to be doing really well on your first go at dsm too. I did try to have a hard look at your outlet etc but now ive seen these pictures you've done a great job of it. That's some serious plumming under the tank and I think your idea of a lily type outlet would be ideal. I bet your photography skills are top notch too now hey im subscribed to this and really looking forward to how it progresses. Well done mate Ps fill the racks with fert bottles theyll last a bit longer unless your desperate

Hey Alistair - so you finally got me here :) Can't thank you enough mate. How are the choccies doing?? I know you have your hands full with that new beast of yours so I appreciate you taking the time...
Photography still pants mate - cameras and I just do not get on (unless I'm at a party - then they seem to be fine :lol:)
Plumbing-wise, as I've said, it all SEEMS to work, so I'm forging ahead! I LIKE the idea for the fert bottles!! Could even mix them into old wine bottles to keep the authentic looks :clap: Speaking of which, I'm still using "Spezial N" or something - a recipe I think I got here on UKAPS ages ago - any suggestions for a good macro food??

Well that is different! I don't imagine there has to be a reason why you did not use two holes?

Hi foxfish - different indeed.....not really, other than one hole will always have a smaller footprint in terms of plumbing, etc. than two holes, even if the two holes are smaller... And also, I stumbled into the right component to get it done. Just lucky really - its a prototype from a factory in China and they sent me a couple to play with.

CN2WwuV.jpg

foxfish said: ↑ Well that is different! I don't imagine there has to be a reason why you did not use two holes? Hi foxfish - different indeed.....not really, other than one hole will always have a smaller footprint in terms of plumbing, etc. than two holes, even if the two holes are smaller... And also, I stumbled into the right component to get it done. Just lucky really - its a prototype from a factory in China and they sent me a couple to play with.
Sorry foxfish - just re-read my reply, and realised it's complete nonsense!! :crazy: One hole isn't necessarily going to have a smaller footprint, but in this case it would: if I'd had two holes, they would have had to be at least 30mm to accommodate the tank connectors, etc. and because it's glass, there has to be good separation, probably another 30mm at least, so one 55mm hole made more sense. Also, having a single transit is just less disruptive to the inside of the tank.

Really like the look of this! Some serious plumbing you have got going on in that cabinet! The GroBeam lights look like they give out a fair amount of light, I'm intrigued to see how you get on with them as I'm looking to get one myself. Keep the updates coming!

Hi Emyr - thanks for the compliment mate. Yes, the GroBeams are great. These are quite old - the old-style GroBeam 500 from a few years ago, still working well. I'm actually planning to use the new GroBeam 1500ND (I'm hoping I can get away with just two, but may need three :() and will use two of the old ones to back-light the wall behind the cabinet.

OK, I've been very patient, but now I'm starting to twitch.....still 10 days to go :nailbiting:

One of the mosses - can't remember which - that I painted onto the rock still just looks like a green smear....
h9jngL4.jpg
...while others are growing well...
D99qr85.jpg
HC seems to be taking well and glosso looks healthy though not putting runners yet...
VEao4PT.jpg

Oh, and sorry about the monster pics on my last post - hopefully I've figured how to size them better :lol:

Back