• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Flexible LED Strips

Morbus

Seedling
I have been thinking of lighting my planted tank with LED flexible strips the type favoured by car modders.

I have seen these strips which are flexible and waterproof and only 12V so safe, they are very bright and also come in a variety of colours as well as colour changing.
They are also easy to fit and low wattage

I have a Juwel Rio 180 with T8 tubes + another T8 fixed to the back flap.
My thinking is to do away with the T8's and fix strips of LEDs on the flaps and light fitting to give a good cover of light and have worked out you could get 300 LEDs per flap.

Has anyone else used these LEDs? I know some have stuck blue and red led strips to the light fitting.

They may look bright but their PAR is very low, even right up near the LEDs. Through water it drops off to almost nothing.

They're useful for aesthetics only, if you're into that sort of thing. No good for plants, like Radik suggests.

I use one of these in my snake viv. I bought it off a guy on Reptile Forums UK who sells them. This setup (LEDs, Dimmer, Transformer) cost £20 posted.

IMG_5917.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg

George Farmer said:
They may look bright but their PAR is very low, even right up near the LEDs. Through water it drops off to almost nothing.

They're useful for aesthetics only, if you're into that sort of thing. No good for plants, like Radik suggests.

George if that's the case, maybe it would be Ideal for fish-only displays to limit algae growth?

Back