• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Spec v (20l) light modification

Matnez

Hi, I just thought I would start a thread to see if there are any Fluval Spec V owners out there who have upgraded the lighting.

I'm just interested to see what people have done and how well they work.

I'm using a Juwel twin-Lite Korall 60 20w which is placed on the top of the tank with a reflector. It does the job but its is not very athletically pleasing.

In America people seem to be using the Finnex FugeRay LED Aquarium Light 20 Inch with great success but this product is not available in the UK from what I can see. Is there a similar product like this available in the UK?

I use a 24watt clip on sump light compact t5 the standard light I use to light the wall behind. Have you done anything to improve the flow?

Hi Mitch, I would be very interested to see you light set up if you have any pictures.

I haven't done anything to improve the flow, I'm using the tank as a dedicated shrimp tank so at the moment I don't feel that it is necessary. Have you got any plans to improve the flow?

its nothing special just a cheap chinese made sump light i bought from trimar a few years back, i was tempted to try one of the new single grow beams on the tank but its not necessary so havnt bothered.

ATM i have a jbl t500 on it at minimum setting which id estimate to be about 300 lph which i think is perfect flow rate but because of the size of the pump compartment it doesnt fit so cant be used on its own plus its just as noisy as the fluval pump, well nearly as noisy the fluval ones are parp sounds like an elephant snorting coke.

Tunze make a small pump that does 300lph but to use solo i think i would prefer more plus my layout isnt the best for just solo pump so i might get one of the hydor pico pumps but not sure which yet.

I do have a journal thats due an update called Mitchs fluval spec 19

Thanks for that. Yeah the stock pump is dam noisy but I have finally got used to it. I think when I have a bit more cash I will look into upgrading it.

I will check out your journal.

i think im just going to get a small powerhead, saw at my LFS today koralia nano 12v which is around £30 online but to power it you need a £200 controller which sucks but it would of been perfect

Back