• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluval Spec V drystart

Rob Dahl

On Dec. 9th I started my first attempt at dry starting, using the following:
Cyyptocoryne wendtii “green”
Eleocharis parvula “Dwarf Hairgrass
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias nana
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Microsorum pteropus‘Windelov’
Lace Java Fern
Micranthemum umbrosum “Monte Carlo
Ceratopteris thalictroides
Water Sprite
Fissidens fontanus: Phoenix Moss
and some other mosses I have yet to identify
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=773010

Pulled out some hair grass and have added a black sand beach, like some I've seen in the South Pacific. Not as extensive however. Thought it would be good for the firecrackers when, and if I can get them (and good for me to see them!)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129377489@N05/16196342151/

Last edited:
Decided at 32 days to fill. You will notice that some of the Micrathemum monte carlo and a few cryptocoryne wendtii "green" leaves were looking stressed. The lights went out just as I added the distilled water. Will take some pics tomorrow morning when the lights go on. In the meantime, here the final DSM shots:
wOzSkV.jpg
w0BOEI.jpg
83PtEO.jpg

OK–Here's the morning after flooding. I think I am going to call this "The Edge of The Forest"
L7wZQT.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks nice Rob. I hope the transition goes ok, I'd never have the patience for a dry start!

Thank you James. After all that waiting (a lot for me!) We'll see what transpires. I removed a couple of the cabombas in the background. It was looking kind of crowded. Think I'll head to the LFS and get a couple of otocinclus to help the nerite I put in there to hit the algae. Checked the water and it is fine except for a little yellow discoloration, either from the Mopani wood or the sand.

X3NiTH, They're pretty small. Tomorrow morning I'll look closer and see if I can spot any dimorphism. One nice thing, they are swimming all over the place and I see all five on more than one occasion. Not like the hidey-hides in the Flora, but not as jungley as that tank.

Last edited:
Really hard to tell from the pics but possibly 2 and 3 are female, 1 looks male and 4 not sure, maybe female. Lacking a decent macro to take pics you can use a loupe held against the tank glass if the shrimp are close enough to it, to get a very zoomed eyeball view for trying to spot a saddle. That's what I use when not using the camera.

Thanks X3NiTH, hadn't thought of that.
Roy, did you mean you thought half were male. What does Ermmm mean?
Supposedly the saddle is supposed to be yellow but their carapace is pretty opaque and at this stage obscures the eggs.

Last edited:
Back