• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano at Lisbon Oceanarium

the left hand side

Sorry Right Hand side.. I'm getting over excited here.. Need to go and clean one of my tanks..
crazy-28_files.gif
Sorry......

Great videos Paulo and very interesting discussion...keeping me entertained whilst waiting for a delayed flight back home;)
Got delays on all my flights so far this year! :( two of them by 6 hours!

Just going back to zozo s point about shame its temporary and understanding Paulos point about it costly and however many aquascapers,hobbyists returning it still wouldnt generate enough to make it viable,perhaps it could be promoted from a educational angle,much the same way as school trips,universities and the like getting involved,maybe having special guests,naturalists etc ma ybe phone call to Sir David Attenborough, Brian Cox would promote to the general public.

Just going back to zozo s point about shame its temporary and understanding Paulos point about it costly and however many aquascapers,hobbyists returning it still wouldnt generate enough to make it viable,perhaps it could be promoted from a educational angle,much the same way as school trips,universities and the like getting involved,maybe having special guests,naturalists etc ma ybe phone call to Sir David Attenborough, Brian Cox would promote to the general public.
Hi, Paulo made a good point. From the start it was thought to be temporary. The art of the visionary Amano is perfectly integrated in the , educational misson, of oceanário. The role of these aquarium is very important in Portugal (along with others) and we are ver lucky to be near and enjoy the evolution of these master piece!
So we'll keep sharing and enjoying these master piece,
cheers

Hey guys, from Portugal and not only. Do you have any info whether this exposition will be working some more time? I'd like to visit Lisboa and especially this awesome exposition in next few months, but due to uncertain timeframe for my vacation and possible EU visa implications I'd like to know how much time I have for preparation of the travel. Thanks in advance.

It's a temporary exhibition, but from the page https://www.oceanario.pt/en/exhibitions/temporary-exhibition/ there is one sentence in "Relevant Facts and Figures" that says "1.5 million visitors expected in 30 months"... that makes me think that it is supposed to be there for 30 months (2.5 years), so if it started on early 2015, I would say it should be there until mid 2017... but I'm just making assumptions here...

Try to contact them https://www.oceanario.pt/en/contacts-us for a better answer.

Old thread but given I've just signed up and I'm exploring the site I thought I'd chip in

Went here about 15 months ago and OMG! The Lisbon aquarium itself is amazing but this tank it incredible. We spent a good hour just watching it. I've just had a look on their website and it's still there by the looks of things, so for those that haven't been I'd 100% recommend it

Word of warning though - you will come back and want to upgrade in some form or another!!

Was there 2 days ago (19/02/18), still looking fantastic.. appeared to be still quite popular as it was quite busy, and i understand that due to it's popularity that it is still open, thou i not sure for how much longer thou, so get your skates on...

upload_2018-2-21_3-2-24.png

That's my son in the foreground, looking very interested, asked if i we could get a tank this big, i wish ;) and even if i could wouldn't know where to start.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had the chance to go and see it and until you see it, you won't be able to appreciate the beauty, it really is out of this world
Can't believe it's a temporary exhibition, it should be kept as it is MR Takashi Amanos final work.
Anyway I made a little video unfortunately because of the lighting on the tank it's not the best quality , hope you enjoy it anyway

Does anyone know what kind substrate and fertilizers they used in this aquarium?
The bulk of the planting is in Amazonia Soil, 8550L of it was used to be precise. They also used 4 tons of sand, ferts wise I've no idea.

The bulk of the planting is in Amazonia Soil, 8550L of it was used to be precise. They also used 4 tons of sand, ferts wise I've no idea.

Curious if that soil still there and how they are maintain that

I went Friday afternoon, really impressed by the scale of the aquarium. It was really noticeable that the anubias and ferns had been kept in check as 8 years of growth would have looked considerably different.

Impressed by: scale, variety and atmosphere.
Disappointed by: not a lot, but the ferns were noticeably struggling.

Disappointed by: not a lot, but the ferns were noticeably struggling.
When I was there in the summer, noticed the same thing, for something that was only meant to be there for 2-3 years! not bad going by the Team at Oceanarium :) still worth the visit

for something that was only meant to be there for 2-3 years! not bad going by the Team at Oceanarium :) still worth the visit
Totally 👍

And forgot to mention that the Hygrophila pinnatifida on the far right was out of this world.

Couldn't ID the broad leaf stem in the mid section. Any ideas?

Back