• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GA Eheim low techs

viktorlantos

Aquascaper
We mainly using high light co2 tanks in our gallery but we keep 2 of these Eheim Aquastyle nanos to show the low tech example to our visitors.

The tank is the default Eheim Aquastyle set. With Hirose and Amazonia soils in it.
The set has a 7w led light and a corner filter with substrat pro.

I shot this now to show how it looks. It's running since february this year. Initially had some algae issues, but as it slowly cycled we do not have algae anymore.

Fert is EI daily.

(the insitu shot has a T5 unit but that's just for a demo purposes, we're not using them of course)

with good plant selection this runs nicely.

6285291831_7c213c2e30_b.jpg
Green Aqua - Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

6285291727_fbc7885ff4_b.jpg

an earlier shot

6174519187_26983e2615_b.jpg

6175045230_d2dcac506e_b.jpg

hope will help some who do not have a budget and would stay on the low tech line. :D :angelic:

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I really like these, shows what can be done. Can you provide a plant list?

cheers Darrel

Cheers Darrell,
I am sorry i missed your post somoehow. Here is the plantlist on the 2 tanks:

LEFT:
Echinodorus quadricostatus
Spiky Moss
Utricularia Graminifolia
Staurogyne SP
Anubias Nana
Limnobium laevigatum

RIGHT:
Taxiphyllum barbieri (Vesicularia)
Echinodorus quadricostatus

Very nice set's.
Geeez, And I thought adding Scaled back EI once a week in my low tech tank was pushing it, but these are dosed daily?
Is excel, or easy carbo in play at all?
What if any is water change scedule?

Hi,very inspiring work.I,d also like to know answers to the previous post and what method you used to overcome initial algea issues.very tempted to try low tec approach.

At the beginning weekly EI is fine. Sure algae will come as the systems will establish much slower. A few month later the daily EI work without any issue. We also dose carbo on a daily basis. Shrimps fishes are fine ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Victor!

This tanks look great!

That internal filter looks nice to me for my new 25l nano shrimp tank so can you tell me please what is your opinion about them after nearly a year of use?

Thanks!

ZliBrka said:
Hi Victor!

This tanks look great!

That internal filter looks nice to me for my new 25l nano shrimp tank so can you tell me please what is your opinion about them after nearly a year of use?

Thanks!

The filter is perfect for a low tech nano. It has substrat pro in it so not only sponge like many other corner filters like Dennerle etc.

It does not have pipe, but they did a very good structure on the filter. The water just comes out as a waterfall on the top part and pushing the full surface.

The larger tank has a Heteropoda shrimp colony in it and they are spreading nicely.

Ealrier Eheim not sold it separatelly, but they changed their mind and now both the filter and the lighting is available.

The filter is not enough for a high light tank but perfect for a low light tank really.

Victor, sorry to open this thread again. I have one like this (24 l) but I have the light dimmed from the very beginning, even when using liquid C or CO2.
IMO the 7w LED unit is oversized, at least for 24 liters (in my case, 19 real liters). Don't you have this problem? I see you have in both floating plants, but not that much to decrease the amount of light.

Cheers, no prob to open this up again if you have questions.

I do not feel strong these lights. Over the 16L one the light is high light, but 24 and the large we suffer from the low light.
Well this is fine if you go with the low light low tech way, but otherwise very far from the ones we use on other high light nanos like the Aquasky 301 30L cubes in our showroom.

Sure algae can come, but probably because the plants suffer for some reason. But if you find the right ones you have less trouble.
Also if the algae occour you can do quick 200% water change with some heavy duty cleaning work :) like toothbrush etc.

We use soft water on our tanks like the one below which is a 16L Aquastyle. There's Utricularia G. in it.
We only had to clean the stone and the plastic filter house from algae with an electric toothbrush. But maintenance is like 5 minutes with massive water changes.

9733649736_4975ca5698_b.jpg
Green Aqua Showroom
by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Attachments

• 9733649736_4975ca5698_b.jpg
    9733649736_4975ca5698_b.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 193
Thanks Victor. Yes, this is what I like about this tank. Maintenance is easy and I do massive water changes once or twice a week.

When I tried a low tech approach without dimming the light, plants suffered a little bit and I had to add ferts quite often (more often than expected in low tech). At this time I had mainly Java ferns mixed with Echonodorus and stem plants... Bad combination I guess.

That is why I tried also liquid C which was the most stable set up, but again with lights dimmed. I agree with you that it can be a matter of choosing the right plants... Now I have more light, but with CO2 and I have stem plants that seem to be happy. But I am not using 100% of the power.

Will have to learn more to play that hard ;)

Back