• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GBR / Gold Ram requirements

Hi all, Only briefly.

cheers Darrel

Oh dear, you think? Well let's hope those Cherry's can get busy and often!

Darrel, if I'm going for tank bred stock should tank size be OK? Likewise I'm not precious about adding dithers if it suits the environment.... I seem to have the only embers on this site that are precocious and I'd rather they weren't in my discus tank anymore...

Thanks
Garry

Tank footprint looks to be quite small, so I'd add a single ram - unless your pair is very bonded, I don't see longterm success with a pair (in nature, these fish form pairs for breeding, then may pair with different individuals on the next go round).
I have "electric blue rams" & tiger shrimp (probably wild stock), the tigers are The Boss ... but tank is also a 90cm with lots of areas for shrimp to hide - except it's the rams playing least in sight while the tiger shrimp go where they will :wideyed:

Of course this may also be the perfect excuse to add that second tank ...

Fair enough, is keeping a single ram OK or simply mean.

Otherwise it's going to be either CPD's or micro rasbora's

Hi Darrel, sorry a million questions, but I'd rather ask an expert. As much as these tanks are a pleasure to have, good husbandry makes ownership all the more satisfying.

Given the relatively small footprint, 500mm x 300mm if I did have a single Ram questions which spring to mind are:

A. Is a male or female better to house solitarily, does it really matter....
B. Im never going to be able to dig all of the cherries out so let's see how they fair, but what other tank mates would be suitable with my Ram?
C. Gold Ram or 'Czech' Ram, I understand a Gold is a colour morph but other than colouring there's not much difference as they are both the same Ramirezi species?

Thank you Sir

Hi all,
Is a male or female better to house solitarily, does it really matter....
Doesn't matter, if you buy one randomly you are most likely to get a male, but they are difficult to sex.
Im never going to be able to dig all of the cherries out so let's see how they fair, but what other tank mates would be suitable with my Ram?
They are best in warm water, so a small tetra (Ember) would be OK. As a pair they are better without dithers as they are hopeless parents.
Gold Ram or 'Czech' Ram, I understand a Gold is a colour morph but other than colouring there's not much difference as they are both the same Ramirezi species?
They are all variants of <"Mikrogeophagus ramirezi">, the real problem is that a lot of the commercial stock is horrible and diseased, and some of the varieties like "Electric Bue", "Gold", "Long-fin" and the disgusting "Balloon" are even less hardy than the type. Personally I'd only buy home-bred stock from a hobbiest.

cheers Darrel

Dear All,

Picking up this thread, I've bitten the bullet and added a pair of Blue Rams to my Discus tank. What should this pair be eating?

Thanks,
Garry

23321154743_d743b362e7_k.jpg

Back