• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GDA or GSA?

Hi. I'm not quite sure whether it is GSA or GDA. Also what could cause it? It appeared just after I trimmed my hemianthus carpet? My light level is slightly high (2x39w for 8hrs and in the middle of that additional 2.5 hrs with 2x39w) as for my 180ltr tank but I have not had any problems before.

It is mainly on the rocks but possibly can't see it on the plants for obvious reasons. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
It seems BGA (cianobacterias). It's caused to low NO3 levels or poor flow. How is your dosing scheme?

I've been dosing with EI, slightly overdosing it to make sure there is no lack of nutrients for the plants. Flow should not be an issue as I've been running two Eheims 2073. Dosing loads of co2 as well.
I'm not sure whether it is BGA as it is no sort of slimy and easy to remove thing. It is quite hard to remove it and it grows like from inside of the rocks.

Last edited:
I'm sure that it aren't GSA. So there are a great chance to be GDA. You can try to smell it, BGA have a strong smell. If there isn't any smell it's GDA and it's caused to light excess (high PAR level).

Thanks. I won't be able to smell it as it is sometching attached to the rocks and it is just a very thin layer of it, nothing that I could scrub of. I will lower my lighting a bit and see if that will help at all.

Back