• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thanks guys. :)

How's the lighting? Is that medium light from where the tiles are hanging? I'd love to do something like this for my own 90cm tank but don't want be pruning all the time etc. Do you think low-medium light will give the same effect?
Hi Gilles - the lighting in the position it is now is about 30-40 PAR at the substrate, so enough to grow anything really, but not really what I'd regards as high lighting. It's not enough to bring out the crimson red in the Ludwigia, for instance... ;)

I literally used about 6 stems of HC about halfway through the 'scape's life. It's just grown really well and mixed with the mini-grass nicely.

Two of these tiles is plenty for a 90cm I'd say. :)

You need a bigger tank for that alcove ;)

Nice to see the tank placed, gives a real sense of the scale.
Cheerio,
Ady
Thanks mate.

Yes, a bigger tank is always appealing, but I do really like this size because it's so manageable. I promised my wife that I would not spend so much time on aquascaping this year, so an upgrade in size wouldn't go down too well. :)

I could actually squeeze a 100cm in there. Maybe if I did it covertly through the night she wouldn't notice! lol

Thanks guys. :)

Hi Gilles - the lighting in the position it is now is about 30-40 PAR at the substrate, so enough to grow anything really, but not really what I'd regards as high lighting. It's not enough to bring out the crimson red in the Ludwigia, for instance... ;)

I literally used about 6 stems of HC about halfway through the 'scape's life. It's just grown really well and mixed with the mini-grass nicely.

Two of these tiles is plenty for a 90cm I'd say. :)

I was planning on doing a triangular scape with no foreground plants like HC but now that I see this ... I'm hesitating, lol!
I was planning on getting a Beamswork because of budget. Those tiles look awesome too though.

A couple more...

_MG_5841.jpg
_MG_5829.jpg

Lovely shots George:). You make growing plants look so easy. The tank is so crisp & clean. Loving the emergent growths.It gives the entire scape a very natural look. Just out of curiosity though,...how long do you spend time on your tank everyday?

Lovely shots George:). You make growing plants look so easy. The tank is so crisp & clean. Loving the emergent growths.It gives the entire scape a very natural look. Just out of curiosity though,...how long do you spend time on your tank everyday?
Thanks. :)

One of my aims with this journal is to hopefully show that growing plants is relatively easy. I am not keeping any secrets - it's all here in this journal - even the failures.

At the moment I am only touching tank once a week (I'm away with work this month, except for weekends).

So once per week I perform a water change, cleaning the glass, and clean the pre-filter in the Fluval G. I clean the glass with every water change whether it looks dirty or not, paying particular attention to the silicone in the corners where algae can 'stain'. This way stubborn algae never takes hold. I spend about 30 minutes on these tasks all in. In my absence daily fert dosing is done for me. All ferts are in pump-dispensing bottles so it's really easy. Even the fish food (micro-granules) has a small spoon so they can't be overfed.

When I'm at home it's different story. I will often spend a few minutes every day on the tank. Nipping off runners here and there, replanting the odd stem if it needs it. I'll usually do two big water changes per week. Then once a week I usually do a pruning session if required. I'll usually clean the glassware and filter hoses every two weeks. I think I've cleaned the biological media and filter impeller once in the last 6 months, as well as re-charging the Seachem Purigen that sits in the Fluval G chemical cartridge.

I am really enjoying seeing this tank take on a more wild look. I imagine next weekend it will look quite messy and chaotic with the tenellus taking over most of the tank. I won't be re-scaping until July at the earliest so I can imagine it will be a right mess by then, but the fish will be very happy and the plants hopefully healthy and algae-free. :)

I'm still trying to come up with a new layout design in my head. I love this stage.

Hi Joel, thanks. :)

The inline diffuser is on the outlet this time. The bubble rate is only 1BPS so the mist is minimal. I clean it every time I clean the hoses - about every 3-4 weeks. Cleaned with a gUSH hose cleaner - no bleach or anything.

Hi George,

This always sounds like a cliché, but I saw this today, and pictures and videos do this no justice. (not saying you cant take a pic) The moss, and ricardia is immense.

You do need to attend to those stems though.

Hi George, can you do a picture of moss and mini pellia. Would you share had a problem with their progress and how you maintained. Who is more invasive from them. :)

Back