• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Goldfish help please :-(

Manisha

I came across a fish section in another forum unrelated to fish keeping a while ago & it's sad to read so avoid :( but popped in today & wondered if anyone knows a reliable goldfish care reference point? It was suggested goldies bowl be increased to not 50 gallon but '50 litres' :( :( :( Would really appreciate any useful links.

Wet Web Media.com

If you follow the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, and a goldfish can reach 8-10 inches in size, 10 gallon should be absolute minimum for a single goldfish. 10 gallon is around 50 litres. Since they are very messy, adding a bit more is not a bad idea.

http://thegoldfishtank.com/goldfish-care/tank/do-goldfish-need-a-big-tank/

"Recommended goldfish tank sizes:

Fancy goldfish: 3 feet long and a volume of at least 20 gallons for one goldfish. If you plan to keep more than one goldfish in your tank then add an extra 10 gallons for each additional fish.

Common goldfish: 4 feet long and a volume of at least 30 gallons. If you plan to keep more than one goldfish in your tank then add an extra 12 gallons for each additional fish."

based on my own experience in keeping fish, I personally wouldn't recommend goldfish for indoor aquarium; certainly not those with normal finnage, indoor pond at the most.

The fancies I would still house in aquariums of at least 55g, I have seen some massive fancy goldfish; with a powerful bioload to match

If you follow the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, and a goldfish can reach 8-10 inches in size, 10 gallon should be absolute minimum for a single goldfish. 10 gallon is around 50 litres. Since they are very messy, adding a bit more is not a bad idea.

This doesn't really work for goldfish, they grow and grow and grow. Also, Goldfish, depending on their linage can hit 15 inches. I caught one as a kid in a village pond at 3lb in weight, which was a monster.

10 gallons is around 45 litres, I wouldn't keep a goldfish in that, most nano fish I wouldn't keep in that. Goldfish once over an inch or so, should be in a pond.

Would want as much water as possible (Dilution capability of waste) with robust filtration.

If you follow the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, and a goldfish can reach 8-10 inches in size

BUT this "rule" applies to slender fish, adjustments are recommended for deeper bodied fish ... not sure how/when that rider seems to have dropped off the Basics of Fishkeeping :(

This doesn't really work for goldfish, they grow and grow and grow. Also, Goldfish, depending on their linage can hit 15 inches. I caught one as a kid in a village pond at 3lb in weight, which was a monster.

10 gallons is around 45 litres, I wouldn't keep a goldfish in that, most nano fish I wouldn't keep in that. Goldfish once over an inch or so, should be in a pond.
BUT this "rule" applies to slender fish, adjustments are recommended for deeper bodied fish ... not sure how/when that rider seems to have dropped off the Basics of Fishkeeping :(
I didn't say to follow the rule... I was just mentioning it as a base to get an idea of what is done with regular fish... and as I said in the end, "Since they are very messy, adding a bit more is not a bad idea.". The quote I added explains just that, for a single goldfish you should have at least 20-30 gallons to start with (depending on the the type of goldfish) and then you can apply the 10 gallon rule for each additional goldfish.

10 gallons is around 45 litres
That depends on what kind of gallon we are talking about... 10 us gallons is around 38L, 10 imperial gallons is, as you said, around 45L.

hmm, not going to argue, but you're on the defensive and you've given questionable information. This is simply a thread, and response about what is best for a type of fish.

hmm, not going to argue, but you're on the defensive and you've given questionable information. This is simply a thread, and response about what is best for a type of fish.
I'm just trying to explain what I meant! :lol:
I wrote my initial thoughts as if I had that question myself, and then presented what I believe to be a good source of information following it... you guys ignored the "good" info I gave and came at me in the same way you would if I answered "A fish bowl should be enough"! :twisted: :lol:

Thank you kadoxu for taking the time to do some reading around & provide me with references and a link :)

Sadly, it is this sort of information available on the internet led to to ask for 'references' from the ukaps folk (as it grossly inaccurate :( ).

As the '50litre' recommendation was from a person who works in the industry (most likely suggesting in good faith what they were trained to believe is appropriate) Me just chiming in well I think your wrong wouldn't be very productive. (I'm only a hobbyist & don't have personal experience with keeping goldfish).

I found a couple of useful articles though, hope it helps (probably sound like a animal rights activist/extremist) but I tried to do a good deed. Why is Seriously Fish broken today?!

My 'good deed' with lots of grammer errors no doubt..

Hi, I'm sorry to hear the predicament you are in with your goldfish :(

I wonder if your little ones have lost interest & your not really wanting a fish if she would be happier in the pond? I considered keeping goldfish but decided not to as I just don't have the room :( very sadly the industry's standard is usually grossly underestimated for this beautiful & very intelligent fish and not often with the welfare of the fish in mind. This is useful article with details on what is a more appropriate setup. http://injaf.org/care-and-information/the-goldfish-section/what-size-tank-for-goldfish/

Also another interesting read, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pets/news-features/do-single-goldfish-get-lonely/ as it highlights how goldfish are far more intelligent than originally thought & points out how Swiss Legislation now states it is illegal to keep a single goldfish.

With the greatest respect *lfs employee* - I appreciate you offered a recommendation to help the op & clearly care a great deal about fish :) I personally feel 50l would be too small for either fancys & common and a 50/60 gallon tank would be a better long term home.

I'm keeping goldfish for quite a few years now and it's a bit of a gamble with them regarding their grow rate.. If you buy them as unsellected regular goldfish at an x regular petshop you will never know. Some grow fast and others grow slow, these fish are (in)bred in such huge numbers and you will find so many different variaties in shape and color among them that it is hard to say what you end up with it changes while they age. Just keep in mind what ever you buy they have the potential of living decades and grow up to 30 cm.. They wont do that over night ofcourse some even do not have the genetics to reach that size.. Little goldfish can be absolutely happy in a fishtank for several years, just be prepared to let the tank grow with them or make sure you have someone with a pond willing to take them from you when the time comes they get to big for what you can provide. Some might never grow to their full potential i have a few 7 years old still under 10 cm, probably stunted inbred but still healthy good looking fish.. :)

I'm just trying to explain what I meant! :lol:
I wrote my initial thoughts as if I had that question myself, and then presented what I believe to be a good source of information following it... you guys ignored the "good" info I gave and came at me in the same way you would if I answered "A fish bowl should be enough"! :twisted: :lol:

That's how a thread asking for advice works, i'm not going to say anything about correct information, that can stay as it is, but incorrect information should be questioned, that's what I and @alto had done. Nothing nasty, no ill intention, just fish happiness.

Goldfish in my opinion are probably the most ill treated pet in the world, they are seen as disposable pets, " jaws died of old age we had him 6 months"

"They don't need anything bigger than a bowl as they only grow to the size of it"

"My dad had one in a bowl for years and it didn't grow much"

These comments plus loads more use to make my blood boil when talking to customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfish in my opinion are probably the most ill treated pet in the world, they are seen as disposable pets, " jaws died of old age we had him 6 months"

"They don't need anything bigger than a bowl as they only grow to the size of it"

"My dad had one in a bowl for years and it didn't grow much"

These comments plus loads more use to make my blood boil when talking to customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True - I haven't kept these fish so I feel hypocritical telling others how to care for their pets but a bowl habitat is willfully ignorant for most species & 50litre small for most adult goldfish I understand.

Back