• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Growth on plec's fin!?

NC10

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone had ever come across anything like this on their fish, or knew what it was?

image.jpg

The cave where this plec lives means I only ever see his head or his tail, so him coming out in the open this evening is the first I've seen of it. Obviously also indicates he's not happy to just randomly come out!

The growth hasn't taken over his fin like it looks in the picture, the actual fin is still there and looks fine, apart from this sticking out of the end. At first I thought it could be a piece of beefheart stuck on the spines or something, but definitely not. I can only describe it as looking like intestines?

I've tried catching him to sump him but no luck. He's breathing fast too, but I don't know if that's him stressed because of me trying to catch him, or stressed anyway due to the growth.

Any ideas on what it is or what to do appreciated.

Cheers

Hi all,
It might be a tumour, but it looks like <"Lymphocystis">, a viral disease. You can't cure it, but often it goes away on its own, with water changes etc.

The literature says that Lymphocystis doesn't occur in catfish (like Peckoltia compta), but judging by the posts on "PlanetCatfish" something very similar does.

cheers Darrel

Cheers Darrel,

Probably the best news I could have hoped for then really. I was fearing a fish tank in the sky scenario, hopefully he'll pull through.

I was thinking a tumour or like a keloid scar type thing, but the link you've given sums it up really. Hopefully no one else will pick it up, but I will try and catch him again tomorrow, get him into a quarantine tank. He was still breathing heavily and laid out in the open at lights off, so not happy at all :(

Cheers for the help and link.

Last edited:
Back