• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help designing LED fixture

Mortis

So I have found someone who will be able to make me an LED fixture that I will use above my main display tank that is 30x18x16 inches lxbxh. It will be a dimmable fixture which I think is important in an LED setup. The fixture will be using 3W Cree XPGs. I know all my questions are inter related but Ive broken it down to help me understand better :

1] How many Watts do I need for a Med to High (dimmable) light tank ? Right now I am thinking 18 LEDs for a total of 54W

2] Placement : Im thinking 3 rows of 6 each

3] Optics : Is 90 degrees good for planted tanks with regards to spread and penetration ?

4] Should the fixture be about the same or quite a bit smaller than the tank size ? Considering the spread with the optics and such that all corners of the tank should be lit and the highest that the fixture can be above the surface is 10inches.

Thanks !

misread thought it was in CM not in inches :) on that note try 60 degree's not 90 narrow the spread will stop it flooding your room you're about right with led count for that size in inches :)

Ill look into the 60 degree optics as well. On TPT they advise area/22 to get the number of LEDS so occording to that its 24 LEDs . Should I go for that or stick to 18, maybe 21 ?

i'd go for the lower amount but have positions drilled on the heatsink ready just incase its not enough you can always add more later as long as there's spare holds/spaces for them.

what drivers are you looking to use?

Back