• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

home made fish food

Think, I will Add Some of the Live foods I am Growing as well. And some Live Mealworms instead of the fish. And maybe some Crickets and grubs.

Think, I will Add Some of the Live foods I am Growing as well. And some Live Mealworms instead of the fish. And maybe some Crickets and grubs.

Sounds good! I'm sure they'd go mad for the tweaks, just make sure the live foods come from a safe source as one of the priorities of my choices was to limit any possibility of introducing intestinal parasites / pathogens, etc.

Go easy on the garlic! like for humans, a little goes a long way:)

This is what we want to see. Super conditioned fish living in our lush green tanks....the ideal combo :)
Do you think this food will be ok long term or more of a conditioner? Are you feeding once, twice or more times a day?
Really tempted to make some and see the effects for myself, is there any science behind the concoction, or just what you thought would be a good idea?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi, my intention is to use this food long term - it's meant to be balanced and provide a rich staple diet, if anyone reading this has any doubts or concerns about this please chip in!

The choices I made were based on science and lot of research of what people are already doing (discus breeders / cichlid owners / top end flake and pellet manufacturers: all looking to maximise pigmentation and conditioning), a bit of my own experience, and a bit of kandokoro (Takashi Amano uses this word to describe the moment where you have a bit of a breakthrough with your thinking).

Another goal was to use ingredients that could be obtained all year and had a minimal risk of introducing intestinal parasites, etc

I also wanted to see if I could gather all the ingredients on one trip up the high street rather than rely on expensive supplements, in this regard I was keen to use nori seaweed, frozen spinach, frozen peas, frozen sweetcorn, paprika, turmeric and naturally occurring anstaxathin (prawns / dried shrimp) to achieve a "rainbow" of carotenoids rather than say spend all my money on spirulina / and anstaxathin supplements (I'm sure they are both awesome). The overall mix seeks to provide the proteins, carbs, oils, vitamins and minerals that they need at a freshness and taste level that would be hard to match from a top end pellet / flake.

Quick question, are you keeping this frozen or just in the fridge?
Not sure how long it would keep defrosted?
Regards

Quick question, are you keeping this frozen or just in the fridge?
Not sure how long it would keep defrosted?
Regards

It's frozen, and squashed into a stack of thin pancakes, each one it a little sandwich bag, it's really simple that way to snap off the size you require. The gelatine gives it just that extra bind to stop it breaking apart until the fish tear into it.

I followed your 'recipe', I put the mixture in ice cube trays that have mini sized compartments, froze it, then put the little cubes into a freezer bag. Defrost when needed and put in tank, my fish love it! Thank you!
Fern

I used a similar recipe for years in my fish house, never had any problems everything bred from Discus to tanganyikans :)
I altered the mix depending on the fish, I had one with more fish meat/prawns in than the other had more veg.
You can knock up a kilo of this great food for a lot less than commercially available foods :)
I put it in large self seal backs about 500g per bag, spread it to all corners so it was less than 5mm thick (easy to break pieces of) then just stack the bags on top of each other to get them flat.
Last 6 months easily in the freezer
If you want alternative recipe just google "shrimp mix" you will probably end up on a cichlid site
Just a word of warning
"Use the blender when the other half is out for the day and give it a good soak to get rid of the fishy smell"

I started experimenting with mine too. They seem to love it especially the angel, gourami and betta.

Can't wait to use up the rest of my commercial food and start my own.

I used a similar recipe for years in my fish house, never had any problems everything bred from Discus to tanganyikans :)
I altered the mix depending on the fish, I had one with more fish meat/prawns in than the other had more veg.
You can knock up a kilo of this great food for a lot less than commercially available foods :)
I put it in large self seal backs about 500g per bag, spread it to all corners so it was less than 5mm thick (easy to break pieces of) then just stack the bags on top of each other to get them flat.
Last 6 months easily in the freezer
If you want alternative recipe just google "shrimp mix" you will probably end up on a cichlid site
Just a word of warning
"Use the blender when the other half is out for the day and give it a good soak to get rid of the fishy smell"

Ha, I pretended I was making thai fishcakes! It makes sense to alter the veg / protein mix depending on type I think I've got "meat and two veg" community fish. It's great to hear your recipe served you well even breeding discus...definitely makes me confident to stay on this path. cheers

Hmm this is interesting, I tried something like this a while back, using about 2 parts veg to 1 part meat but the fish seemed uninterested. This was copper harlequins and pearl gouramis. Surely in the wild these fish eat mainly live foods such as bloodworm and mosquito larvae and supplement that with a bit of algae so it would make sense to feed a predominantly fish based food. I may well be completely wrong but that was my experience and thinking, but I can't deny your bleeding hearts look great.

Hmm this is interesting, I tried something like this a while back, using about 2 parts veg to 1 part meat but the fish seemed uninterested. This was copper harlequins and pearl gouramis. Surely in the wild these fish eat mainly live foods such as bloodworm and mosquito larvae and supplement that with a bit of algae so it would make sense to feed a predominantly fish based food. I may well be completely wrong but that was my experience and thinking, but I can't deny your bleeding hearts look great.
copper harlequins go mad for the recipe i posted too, I'd love to try on discus too

This video takes homemade fish food to another level! It's quite long winded, and weirdly edited, but the detail and insight is awesome. I'll certainly be incorporating the ideas into my next batch...

Really interesting video.

I have given this a go this week. I made mine with squid, prawns, sardine and mussels. Added a small amount of paprika. I have noticed a slight improvement in colour and my CPD's were spawning this morning so could have something to do with it.

It was very interesting to find out that vegetarian fish actually only eat algae etc for the protein contained within from microorganisms. In that case I am guessing that adding spirulina etc to homemade fish food would be quite pointless!

Back