• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long for growing in?

toadass

Hi Everyone :wave:
Just setting up my first planted tank... Eventually!

My set up is 200l tank, will be dosing EI and Co2 will be via external reactor and FE. Substrate is ADA Amazonia so will be doing every other day W/C for around 5 weeks, (not sure if this plays any part in lighting)
My lighting is 2x T8 30w and 2x T5 21w.

My question is what would be the best lighting period for growing in? I gather it would be best to use just the 2 T8's to begin with, but for how many days/weeks do I use the T8's before introducing the T5's?

Any advice on how many hours I should use these also would be very much appreciated,

Many Thanks Toad

You could probably use the 2 x T8 with an 8hr photoperiod, assuming you're not growing demanding plants, especially at the substrate level where the light intensity will very low.

I'd run that for around 4 weeks until your plants are established, then add more light if you want to speed up growth. You may also need to adjust CO2 and other nutrients with the increase in light intensity.

I'd also recommend changing at least 50% of the water 3x per week for the first 3 weeks in a new set-up with ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia.

Cheers George,
I was looking to put Limnophila Aromatica in there. If demanding plants were added, would putting the T5's on for a coule of hours in the middle do the trick?

Many Thanks Toad

Cheers Clive, so the 2x T8's to begin with as George states should do the trick??.....

Yes, I totally agree with George. Stick with your T8s for now. There is no need to morph into a gigawatt loving space cadet until you have mastered all the other important techniques. :wave:

Cheers,

Back