• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

I think I did something really stupid....

Generally this is nothing to do with copper pipes, occurs with plastic piping as well, but is due to dezincifcation of the "non water board compliant" parts in the brass in taps (or other fittings). This is seen on very old taps as well as more modern Chinese cheap taps (and fittings), the hot soft water dissolves the zinc in the brass allowing the remaining copper to be attacked. Easily fixed by using resistant brass (talks about arsenic preventing it, but I assume not in drinking water :yuck:) or stainless steel.

http://hghouston.com/resources/mate...nd-copper-alloys/brasses/dezincification.aspx

Thanks Ian,
some useful info. The taps are very old, so even with the water hardener added by the water co. there can still be some corrosion in "non water board compliant" fittings?

cheers phil

there can still be some corrosion in "non water board compliant" fittings?
Yes. Generally copper pipe gets coated with limescale, either naturally in the water or added by water companies, thus copper (and lead pipe if you still have it) is immune to being attacked, due to the coating. However this is not the case with some brasses, which will be attacked, zinc being removed and copper being attacked. Most pipe fittings are now dezincification proof (and only a small area in contact with water) but taps, especially non UK manufactured taps are often not resistant. In general only a problem with bath taps depositing a green stain on bath, due to frequent use of hot water and bigger areas exposed, not noted to be an issue with taps elsewhere. I suspect not an issue, unless you are frequently drinking from bath taps, just remove green stain with descaler or diet coke or change the taps.

Thanks for all the replies. I really learned a lot.

I'm quite sure the problem was the large difference in water temperature. Two weeks ago I bought 14 Furcati and was more careful with the water changes regarding temperature. Since then I haven't lost a single one.

It's a shame though that fish had to die for me to learn a lesson

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

It is possible to have elevated levels of copper in drinking water - however it is unusual and normally only affects the water that is "standing" in the pipework. See the link below for full details as it depends on lots of factors. If you do notice a blue discharge from your tap (which normally stains your sink/bath) then run your tap to discharge any sanding water within the pipe before doing a water change.
dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/copper.pdf

Back