• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In search of fish

Achilles1

Hi there,

Is there a surface dwelling fish that likes a strong flow? I already have a lot of smaller fish so I'm looking for a fish that's approximately 10/12cm. As I'm dosing EI I need a strong flow and I've understood that fish like gourami 's don't like that. My tank is 190 liters. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Stop thinking about flow and more about velocity, or how you're going to deliver the flow basically.

1 single outlet is going to be faster, stronger, harder.....etc

A spray bar is spread between multiple exit points meaning slower, weaker, softer.....etc

The same flow will be going through them, just different delivery methods.

In other words, get a spray bar and fetch a gourami :D

......also, dosing EI or not, you still want a nice flow/turnover, aiming for around 10x tank volume.

I have a spraybar . But I still feel the current flow is too high for gourami's. What I need is a bit of an aerodynamic fish who likes a bit of a struggle and a hard life in general

What turnover do you have?

You can always add a few more holes or increase the size of the existing holes. (keeping as near as you can to the same area in/same area out rule)

Last edited:
I have a JBL e1500 on a 190 liters tank. So turnover slightly less than 10x. Drilling bigger holes is not really an option since the flow hardly reaches the other side. It is positioned on the left side of the tank because of a 3D background which doesn't allow me to position it on the backside.

What is the same area out and in rule?

Obviously I can't visualise the actual flow you have, but I'd imagine a gourami would be fine with that mate, even if he/she did avoid the left hand side directly under the spraybar, can't see it though personally.

I'm guessing the exit is at the other side?

I had a moonlight gourami for 8 years in numerous tanks, high flow, low flow etc His personality never changed, always out and happy. Like any other fish really though, he always tucked himself up in a low flow area at night.

Regarding the same area rule, you work out the cross sectional area of the output/hose and make sure the holes exiting via the spray bar add up to the same area, or as near as is possible.

You can have more holes in your spraybar as stated before. The ammount of water reaching the other side is going to be the same or maybe even a bit more but itll be less stressful for fish and much more natural.

Edit: Sorry, should have said why really. If you go over the area, you're going to lose pressure and up with a dribble, if you go under, you're going to restrict flow.

(did try editing my original post but just missed the deadline lol)

Ok thanks for your replies. I'm gonna try a gourami species then I think.

Back