• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Into the Green - 240L Rainbowfish Tank

ChilliPepper

Hey all,

I had a break from fishkeeping for about a year, after we went a little crazy! Had about 12 tanks at one time and kept marines. It all got too much and we sold everything up.

My son then asked for a tank while we were in Pets at Home, and we got a small tank to keep a fighter fish and some guppies. He has lost interest, but my interest resumed, so decided to go for a planted tank again.

I had a 190L planted tank before with Rainbows in it. It was going well, but then we had to move house and got interested in Malawis, so decided to sell it. So this will be my first planted tank in about 4 years!

Tank Spec

Juwel Rio 240 in white - 121 x 41 x 55 cm

Lighting

Juwel 2x54W T5

Filtration

Standard Juwel internal, with the aim to add an external eventually

Substrate

Tropica Aquarium Soil topped with Seachem Flourite Black Sand

Hardscape

Redmoor root
Inky rock

Plants

Nymphaea lotus Bulb
Cryptocoryne nevellii
Cryptocoryne wendtii brown
Cryptocoryne undulatus kasselman
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Alternanthera rosaefolia
Limnophila rugosa
Cyperus helferi
Alternanthera cardinalis
Echinodorus impaii
Ceratophyllum demersum Bunch (Hornwort)
Bacopa crenata / monnieri (Moneywort)

Fish (currently got)

4 x Rummy Nose Tetras
6 x Guppies
1 x Fighter fish
1 x Golden Nugget plec

Fish (wishlist)

6 x Bosemani Rainbowfish
6 x Melanotaenia lacustris
6 x Glossolepis incisis
6 x Melanotaenia fluviatilis (if I can get them, otherwise another type)
4 x Rummy Nose Tetras
Some sort of loach, possibly Khuli or Yoyo, in respective group
Was thinking of a group of large Amano shrimp, if they will be OK with the Fighter

I'll take some photos later as everything has arrived today and not been unpacked yet. My tank is being moved inside tonight by my husband and father in law. I am going to inspect my plants in a little while. They are going in a bucket of water until Sunday, when we can fill the tank.

I welcome suggestions on ferts, but will probably use the Easylife system as before. I don't want to go CO2 yet as have a 4 year old and a baby on the way, so too dangerous incase they touch something.

This was my old Rainbowfish tank - 3ft 190L.

5885487793_5b47db2d44.jpg

I decided the Rainbows needed more room, so ordered them a 4 x 2 x 2 tank.

5923317114_ee8324f20a.jpg

5922765961_e475a7af28.jpg
[

5922784111_2fc8e3ed2f.jpg

I was very pleased with the scape, but the fish hated it. It may have been the position of the tank as well, but they were so jumpy it was unreal. For some reason we also lost a lot of fish in this tank. I think it must have been stress as the water conditions were fine.

I bought more plants to offer cover while they grew in.

5935358982_dfbfb3f1e7.jpg

They still weren't happy, so we decided to put them and all the new plants, back into the 3ft and use this 4ft for some larger cichlids, who were happier in there.

6775345852_b293fc4e58.jpg

As you can see by their colours, they adored it :cool: Unfortunately we then had to move house, so ended up breaking and selling this and all fish.

This time round I will let the plants fill in more before adding the Rainbows. Though I am hoping the position of the tank will be better for them too.

Last edited:
Plants

22063822211_8ce43e3eca_c.jpg

21865702400_0bf563d411_c.jpg

Tropica Soil

21432744083_965115dbec_c.jpg

Possible wood layout, if you can make it out as its so dark!

22027697156_c907946d39_c.jpg

Sounds well planned :D
Very nice wood ........... BUT will it float :banghead:
(I picked up some v nice wood, now all I need to do is figure out how to saturate)

Not sure if you're planning Tropica Growth Substrate beneath the soil ... it's an impressive combination.

Bettas & shrimp - tends to be individual, most bettas will have a go at shrimp, but a good sized Amano is pretty tough competition - just establish shrimp + plants + otos first, then add in the remaining fish.
The Tropica soil is much "fluffier" the first couple weeks so I'd not have any plecos or substrate grazing/digging fish in during this time, plants will also begin to root.

Watch the betta carefully, sometimes they do better in limited fish tanks as their fins can attract attention (nipping).

Not sure if you're planning CO2?

Seachem Flourite Black Sand
Have you seen this in tanks? it can be a bit "glittery" depending on the batch & may sift down below the soil over time.
(I wanted to like it more than I did :()

I will have to hold down the wood until it stops floating! Should be easier without any fish in there to disturb it.

I haven't seen the Flourite in any tanks in real life, but did a lot of reading and settled on these two substrates as I wanted as black as I could whilst still being 'useful'. I wanted 4 large bags of Flourite but couldn't find anyone who had 4 in stock. I thought the Tropica would be a good base to help nourish the plants. It doesn't matter if they mix a bit eventually.

I'll have to see how Mickey the fighter gets on. He's a bit of a lazy sod and may get a bit lost in there. Will hold onto the small tank he's currently in if he doesn't do well.

I was also thinking of some kind of Corydora eventually. Will let tank mature a while first as they can be sensitive. I think Pandas may work quite well.

Here's the tank assembled and in place :)

21435931104_c02a15a587_c.jpg

Flourite can be dusty stuff (depends on shipping/storage I suspect), you can wash (& wash) ...
or just place in tank & add water very slowly with a barrier in place (paper towel or plastic bag etc)

If you do the later, it will be a dust storm when you move plants/adjust scape.

To rinse, place a small amount of fluorite in a bucket, add water, swirl, & pour off the fines a few times, then place gently in tank.
It's still best to fill tank with a barrier between water & substrate.

Here's some updated photos after filling the tank Sunday. The tank is clearing nicely, but needs the inevitable clean inside and outside the glass.

Lots of bubbles!

21955243839_2f3850fdbc_c.jpg

22115959676_89a3c38cd3_c.jpg

Yesterday
21953998570_6522122987_c.jpg

Tonight

21955244309_707390a2fb_c.jpg

22142147735_72367c90b0_c.jpg

I decided to get an external rather than faffing around. So my husband cut out the internal filter and I bought a Fluval 306.

We put the standard Juwel background on as thought it was better than nothing, but I am going to have to get a black one.

Ignore the big rock, it's holding the wood down.

On the left back middle, there is Ceratophyllum demersum. But it's a pig and one bit keeps floating. At the moment it looks a little bare, and I am thinking of moving the Echinodorus impaii there.

Any suggestions?

So I put my existing fish in at the weekend, and added some more Rummy Nose Tetras, so now have 10, and 5 young Angels.

I bought a 10L Fluval tank for my Siamese fighter, who is currently sulking. He has a bit of Cambomba that I got free with the Angels.

I'll add some photos later.

That's a nice tank for angels, especially the extra height :)
- remember that angels are cichlids & can become quite territorial, disagree about fellow angel tankmates etc ... they usually mature sometime between 9-18 months depending on lines, some lines are quite peaceful, other can be significantly more aggressive (oddly, wild angels are often more peaceful in their group dynamic).
If you want to be able to select for more laid back individuals, begin with 10 -12 juveniles & hope to end up with 5-6 adults ... again larger numbers will tend to spread out the aggression.

Also take care with new tank additions, it's usually recommended to use a quarantine tank to isolate new fish for 2-4 weeks before adding into your main tank - if this is not possible, I'd do 25 - 50% daily water changes for the first several days after new additions, then alternate day, then every few days etc ... with angels, lots of water change is generally the best medicine.
Watch for any fin clamping or changes in behaviour (they should be active food crazy follow you everywhere sort of fish), begin the daily water change regime as soon as you see something not quite right.

Poor betta ;)

Back