• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lamp reflectors

SJL

I have a very low lit tank 60ltrs only 15w t8 6500k bulb and i stumbled across an advert for arcadia lamp reflectors which says it doubles the output of your light ??? i have already lined the whole lid with aluminium reflective tape would it make any difference getting one ? or should i just get an arcadia dual controller for two 15w bulbs , i would get a light that sits on the rim but i need to keep the lid on.

SJL said:
I have a very low lit tank 60ltrs only 15w t8 6500k bulb and i stumbled across an advert for arcadia lamp reflectors which says it doubles the output of your light ??? i have already lined the whole lid with aluminium reflective tape would it make any difference getting one ? or should i just get an arcadia dual controller for two 15w bulbs , i would get a light that sits on the rim but i need to keep the lid on.

SJL

I doubt very much that fitting the reflector it will double the output - but it will aid in reflecting the light which is always an improvement.

Regards
Paul.

cheers Paul , so in all honesty it would be better to get the kit and double the lighting witch would still only give me just over 2wpg

cheers stuart

Reflectors are well worth the money as they allow the light to penetrate further into the water. This is great if you are growing plants which are right at the bottom. In my tank the plants won't pearl if I take the reflectors off.

cheers for the reply Matty , so which out of the two options would be best overall or would both be best?

cheers stuart

It's up to you really mate. Do the plants grow ok with the light that you already have? The reflector will work far more efficiently than the aluminium tape because the light pattern will be better.

SJL said:
cheers Paul , so in all honesty it would be better to get the kit and double the lighting witch would still only give me just over 2wpg

cheers stuart

Stuart

Dont forget intense lighting needs - plenty of fertz, lots of Co2 and a good flow rate - stick with what you have or just add the reflector - manufacture spend lots of time carrying out test to find the optimum lighting for their tanks, we have a habit trying to improve on their specification - so time it works or it fails, then the threads start rolling in - why's my tank full of algae.

Regards
paul.

cheers for the reply's i think i will go with the reflector then and see how it goes .

cheers stuart

I know i said i would go with the reflector and i did but i also walked away with a dual controller and have removed the old ballast & light form the tank and i am running 2 x 15w lamps now in a 60 ltr tank, with reflectors, one is a sunlight t8 and the other i 6500k t8 lamp what is my rough wpg and will this help my melting plants revive along side my liquid co and fert regieme ?

cheers stuart

I think you are running close to about 2wpg with those lamps. With that much light you should be able to grow anything, providing you have enough ferts and co2.

cheers matty only time will tell now ! is it best to remove partially dying plants or just wait it out ?

cheers stuart

I think you have done the right thing. But with regards to florescent bulbs and reflectors, the reflectors actually concentrate the 360 degree scattered light in the direction of the tank instead of everywhere else, so they are always useful in that respect and also in terms of efficiency.

cheers Troi thats good to know but ive basically just bombarded you with questions in my other post !!! sorry !

cheers stuart

Back