• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Dimmer solution - BUT

Chris Jackson

UPDATE - WARNING - These units are working fine for me but they could damage the Aquasky power supplies so you take your chances! Read the thread for more details.

Hi All,

I thought I'd post this to help anyone looking for an easy LED dimming solution and particularly ideal for the ADA Aquasky units.

I'm using an ADA Aquasky 602 and as anyone will tell you these units produce an intense light which isn't necessary always welcome. Having a dimming facility would make things far more flexible and creative.

Having searched long and hard and considered changing the driver/transformers etc. I finally happened upon these. http://theledlightstore.co.uk/dim-12c.html

DIM%2012C.jpg

In the case of the Aquasky units it simply plugs inline via the existing plugs between the driver and the light...not cutting wires, no solder, no messing and no devaluing the units. It works perfectly with no loss of output when on full power and no flickering whatsoever when dimmed. Made in England as well with a very good quality feel and at £39.95 surely a worthwhile upgrade if you want to run a lower light, less intensive tank or better manage algae cock ups.

This is them in situ so you can see the true small size.

IMG_2751.JPG

Last edited:
Technically it should if you install it on the low voltage side between the driver/power supply and the LEDs. The Aquasky unit happens to already have the correct plugs and sockets for this so that its a simple plug and play solution. Which other lights have this feature as well I don't know as I've not seen them.

Good find! Im really tempted to ship one to Canada but its a bit pricey to risk it.
Thanks for the post though ,I can us the specs to compare to something more local for me.

It looks the same idea as TMCs dimmer for its aquabars only more expensive. I wonder if the plug sizes are the same. Tmcs is £13.99

Ah well spotted, how did I miss them! That is almost certainly a viable lower cost option but it would depend on their output voltage range and I could not readily find any specifications for them. I think the 2.1mm barrel plug and sockets are pretty much standard.
Cheaper often isn't better mind and these Litehouse ones certainly do have a very solid quality feel with a pleasing soft touch control knob.

Hi,
Yes 601 just needs one dimmer instead of the 602's 2.

As far as the supply voltages I think 32v or 34v probably makes no difference as those figures are "nominal 9-32v" rather than totally exact. The data sheet also says "Peak supply voltage range 5.5v to 40v" so I'm not too concerned.

I'll see if I can measure Aquasky voltage tomorrow and see if it does actually output 34v.

Cheers
Chris

Hi,

First off all, thanks for putting effort! So now we know!

I asked ADA why the AquaSky cant be dimmed. I got the following answer:
Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for your inquiry.In case a dimmer is used, an adapter gets pressure and might be damaged. This is the reason it cannot be used with a dimmer.
--
Best regards,

Yoshinori Kondo
Aqua Design Amano Co.,Ltd
phone +81-256-72-6666
http://www.adana.co.jp/en/
----------------------------------------

For howlong are you using this dimmer?
When you dim, you dont hear any noise at your dimmer or adapter?

Aha,

Ok well mine are working fine for 2 weeks now on these dimmers with no sign of the dimmer adapters getting hot or anything untoward so I'm happy to take my chances for the time being. One might suspect that ADA will default to the reply that they can't be dimmed because they don't actually supply an ADA approved dimmer for them...yet?

There absolutely is no hum or buzz etc, as the dimming uses Pulse Width Modulation through an electrical circuit that effectively turns them on and off at incredibly high speeds to create the dimming effect. Now I'm guessing here but this may mean that this could shorten the lifespan of the LED's, I don't know.

Certainly if you want to feel totally safe with your Aquasky and not risk any warranty problems....then don't dim it/them.

However I have sent a message to the The LED Lightstore to check on their opinion regarding the voltage issue and I'll report back with their answer.

These are actually quite clever units, which is why they are not cheap.

They do not regulate voltage (pressure in ADA speak ?) but regulate the average current through the LED's by pulsing the LED current on an off 240 times a second.

LED's are design to operate on constant current (flow in Amps) unlike normal light bulb which is constant voltage (pressure of 240V). To vary the brightness of LED's you either lower the current passing through or run at full current and pulse this current on an off, very quickly, ie so if current is on only 50% of the time LED will be 50% brightness. This has the other advantage as the LED colour output varies with current, so you won't get colour variation as you dim the LED.

Thus your Aqua sky unit is designed to output 0.91A current, with voltage going to around 25-34V, the value being such so as to drive 0.91A through the LED's. All this dimmer will do (hopefully me reading the data sheet correctly) is pulse the 0.91A on an off at 240 times a second so as to dim the LED's. So will probably work...connectors allowing.

Ok now.....

I just spoke with the manufacturer of the dimmer adapter and he said if it works we should be fine BUT as the Aquasky power supply is a constant current supply rather than a constant voltage power supply it means that their dimmer unit is making the Aquasky power adapter work harder in order to power the LED which could lead to problems. Hence ADA's comment "an adapter gets pressure and might be damaged"....

Apparently dimming LED's actually makes them last longer because they run cooler....

So not quite the perfect solution I thought I'd found....doh!

Thanks for your questions..now we're all a little wiser...

Back