• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED Vs Fluorescent on my 60P

sonicninja

Hi everyone,
I have a planted ADA 60P which I currently run 2 x TMC mini LED 400's above. So far things are going in the right direction and with the thought at the back of my mind that I could totally wreck my progress I installed an old fluorescent unit anyway. Ive been having very slow growth on my plants (which I'm content with) but wanted to experiment and see if the addition of the fluorescent unit made any difference to things such as colour.

Within 48 hrs I noticed a difference, trimmed plants which had sat 'dormant' for a week suddenly started growing quickly and other plants looked bushier. I'm aware that this growth could be coincidence and it simply coincided with me adding a new light but it got me thinking. Can I experience increased growth rate in this tank with this type of light?

To my eye the overall light output on the tank is the same, when I added the new fluorescent light I dimmed the two LED lights. However im aware that i can only perceive certain wavelengths of light so maybe this isnt too much help. I also stopped dosing liquid carbon this week which may have had an influence on my plant growth.

Anyway, is light just light or should i consider switching to all fluorescent bulbs?

Any input would be great!

Cheers!

Cheers Chris. Sadly it's a mess aesthetically but at the moment my concern is getting the plants to flourish.
e3c0f194b13a2fdf87dcc1499816f2b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I prefer the 'warmth' the new light provides and for the moment I can put up with the unit stuck on the top. Perhaps since this unit turns on instantly instead of fading in (like the LED) the plants have reacted positively. ..?

What is the wattage/output of the leds? I was thinking about buying one, but maybe underpowered for my 40cm cube.

Hi, do you keep a journal? I am also considering putting together a 60P. Did you stop with liquid carbon all together? do you not think CO2 would be needed for this amount of light?

They were actually very affordable. They are called Marine Magic 1+1 Dosing Pumps. One of the only cheaper models that can dose each pump on different days.

Back