• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting advice if anyone would be so kind.

Scott Dav

hello i'm after a little advice if anyone would be so kind, i've got a tank that is 48 x 16 x 16 it is my first real go at the planted tank you could say, i've got two 40w T8's in there and i'm also running pressurised co2, I've been looking online and tying to find out what sort of time the lights would need to be on to give my plants that helping hand. i have found everything from 4 hours to 10 hours, what i'm really looking for is some advice as to what would be the best time scale for the plants, then i can set my co2 to come on 1.5/2 hours before the lights go on to give them the kick start. if there is anyone that could help that would be great also if you want anymore information then just let me know.

regards
Dav.

Hi Dave, try 6 hours to start with, you can up the lights on period once the tank is established but, you can also have a fantastic display with only 6-7 hours a day.
Most folk switch on the gas 2 hour before lights on & off, one hour before lights off!

Thanks thats brilliant i was a bit worried about having the lights on for a long period because i didn't want to get the dreaded algae, how long would you say to stick to the 6-7 hours before upping it if i ever decided i wanted to do so? would you say have both T8's on for the 6-7 hours or just one of them with the other coming on for a few hours in the middle of the 6-7? or would i be safe to have both on? sorry for all the questions but i really do appreciate your time.

Thanks Dav.

Well that is your decision because you need to match the amount of co2 to the amount of light.
I would have both lights on for 6 hours but separate the on off timers by half an hour - in other words, light one comes on at 4pm & off at 10pm & the other light 4.30pm - 10.30pm
To avoid algae you need to supply plenty of gas but not enough to harm the fish, it is much easier to start a tank without fish so you can experiment without killing anything!

Well that is your decision because you need to match the amount of co2 to the amount of light.
I would have both lights on for 6 hours but separate the on off timers by half an hour - in other words, light one comes on at 4pm & off at 10pm & the other light 4.30pm - 10.30pm
To avoid algae you need to supply plenty of gas but not enough to harm the fish, it is much easier to start a tank without fish so you can experiment without killing anything!

ok thats brilliant thanks again for clearing things up for me. cheers Foxfish.

regards Dav

Back