• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting at the beginning of a planted tank ?

MikeHarris

Seedling
Hi ukaps members,

I have just started up my first planted aquarium.

36" x 18" x 15"(High)
4 x 24W T5's
Ehiem 2071 filter with Hydor ETH External Heater 300W
custom Fire Extinguisher Co2 kit with solenoid.

I set up the tank 1 week ago (13th nov) I used 1 bag of ADA Power Sand M (2 Litres), 1 and a half bags of ADA Aqua Soil NEW Amazonia (9 Litre) and 1 bag of ADA Aqua Soil Powder NEW Amazonia (3 Litre). All from the Green Machine.

I recently went to Aquatics Live which was brilliant. Couldn't help myself buying some plants from Aquajardin!!

My plants include:

3x Tropica 1-2-Grow Staurogyne repens.
6x Tropica 1-2-Grow Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping' - for the "Tree of Life"
6x hemianthus callitrichoides cuba.
3x Pogostemon helferi.

I currently have all of my 4 x 24W T5's on for 4 hours with Co2 coming on 2 hours before and cutting out 1 hour before lights turn off. The HC Cuba isn't looking too great and I can see some dead leaves.... I was wondering if this is too little or too much light at the beginning ?

Any thoughts we be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi,
Try shutting down 50% of your light and increasing your CO2 injection rate by 100% (assuming there are no fish).

Cheers,

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Ive turned off 2 of my 24W bulbs and slightly increased my Co2. Yup no fish :) yet!
When do you think is a good time to turn to turn the 2x 24W bulbs back on ?

Cheers

MikeHarris said:
Thanks for the reply. Ive turned off 2 of my 24W bulbs and slightly increased my Co2. Yup no fish :)
Why slightly? CO2 grows plants. The more CO2 you add the faster your HC will recover.

MikeHarris said:
The HC Cuba isn't looking too great and I can see some dead leaves.

When do you think is a good time to turn to turn the 2x 24W bulbs back on ?
When your HC looks great and when you can't see any dead leaves.

Cheers,

Back