• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting height recommendation.

justin85

Hi all,

How can I work out the correct height to have my led lighting from my tank?

Here's my tank journal ( Click here )

my lighting specs are: 10x 3w Cree LEDs (6,500k) - they are hanging 33cm from the water surface and 64cm from the lowest plant which is Eleocharis sp. 'mini'

I have about 2.5w per gallon, and im using ada ferts and pressurized Co2 @ 2 bps.

DSC_0445_zps65c4cec8.jpg

The scientific way would be a PAR meter if you have access to one. Other than that, your next best option is comparing similar setups to yours and seeing how they fare. Final call would be to just give it a go and see how the plants do.

You can get a Seneye Reef for much less than a normal PAR meter. Measures PAR, lumens and colour temperature (kelvin). The chemical readings (pH, ammonia) use a disposable slide which lasts a month. However, you can use the light meter functions whether you have a slide or not.

Seneye Reef | Swell UK

I would personally start at the highest height and slowly bring it down until you get the growth rate which you desire.

as long as the CO2 and ferts match the intensity, plants will still grow.

Hey did you ever find out any par reading or anything ,
I currently have LEDs set up to a similar wattage and it would be nice to compare any findings you've found .
Cheers

Hi Folks,
Might be of use to use what is available and gauge from equivalent lighting that uses 10w LEDs. ie See the technical datasheets of other manufacturers that are currently using 10w LEDs in their mix and use this as a starting point. No outlay involved.:)

Back