• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting Help

PedroB

Hi,

I'm planning on building a 100X45x60cm (LxHxW) tank. I'm looking for lighting solutions at around 234w and I'd like some help in finding a good fixture.

I've been looking at APSs 90cm one (90cm T5 Aquarium Lighting Six Tubes System - All Pond Solutions)

I like the fact that I can control the lights in pairs, allowing me to scale from 78w to 156w to 234w according to my needs, but I don't like the price or the aesthetics of it.

Do you have any cheaper and/or prettier solutions?

Thank you

That's a lot of light in t5. I run 48watt on a 80x40x40 and it's plenty.

That would be great for a reef tank. A two or three tube version would be more appropriate for tropical planted, especially if you are planning on injecting CO2. If you are planning on a lower tech tank then one or two would probably be enough. Best place to start though is to decide on your setup (high or lo tech) read the articles in the appropriate forums on here* and then as many of the discussions as you can. I'm still a beginner but from my experience, lighting is usually the thing that throws people, they use too much and experience all sorts of algae issues. Things as important as the lighting are fertilisers, substrate and filtration/water movement. It's getting the right balance that's the key to success.

*Anything by Ceg is well worth your time.

Thank you for your replies. I've been out of the hobby for a while, isn't the 1W per Litre the recommended for demanding plants?
That's what I was aiming for, to start with 78w and increment as my green biomass progresses.

I will read the articles and try to become up-to-date ;)

Back